GIS and Records Technician
This candidate will aid in the documentation, planning, mapping, analysis and reporting on the ESVBA fiber optic network. This team member will facilitate the documentation and communication, as well as, growth planning of ESVBA’s architecture and infrastructure.
- Analyze spatial data through the use of mapping software.
- Generate and update network maps of the ESVBA infrastructure.
- Assist in the planning of incremental network buildouts.
- Produce reports using visualizations of many datasets in the aid of community outreach, staff education, public understanding, and reporting requirements of the ESVBA network.
- Load data from existing and new records to document all customer and network deployments.
- Produce fiber splicing schematics using ESVBA standards to deploy new customers.
- Help locate and isolate network faults using field data and records and provide reports to aid in rapid restoration of network critical services.
- Document all fiber plant facility as-builts and maintain this documentation to incorporate all major upgrades or decommissions through the lifetime of the network.
- Prepare maps and diagrams for planning and operational needs.
- Optimize the ESVBA’s GIS environment to ensure the best performance and most detailed visualization of the data sets available.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills
- Self-motivated team player
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Project leadership & teamwork skills.
- Ability to work well in a limited structure, start-up environment
- Working knowledge of telecommunications plant records.
- Working knowledge aerial and buried cable construction.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and mapping tools such as, OSP Insight, Visio, AutoCAD, QGIS, & MapInfo.
- In depth knowledge of OSP engineering, construction and splicing of fiber optic networks
- Five or more years of experience designing fiber optic, coaxial or telephone outside plant;
- Ability to write brief memos and notes for reporting and documentation;
- Ability to review design drawings;
- Experience with pole attachment and make ready.
- Proficiency with database software and programming languages such as SQL, R and/or Python
- Experience with GPS measuring tools
- Outstanding quantitative skill set
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving skills
- Experience with at least one GIS/Mapping platform and one design piece of software
- Good motor vehicle driving record
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to interact with staff, vendors, contractors and other required personnel
- Organizational and time management skills including a strong ability to complete tasks on-time
- 4-year college degree. BS in Computer Science, Geography, Surveying Engineering or related field preferred.
Posting ID: 563284502Posted: 2020-08-07