The Tennessee Aquarium, rated the best aquarium in America for overall guest satisfaction, strives to connect people with nature and empower them to make informed decisions about water and wildlife.
The Aquarium seeks a self-motivated team player with good communication skills to attend to general and finish carpentry needs including new construction and modifications to facility walls, doors, hardware, floors, ceilings, cabinetry and trim.
- Conduct general and finish carpentry related to wood forms, shelving, trim, and cabinetry
- Install ceiling grid systems, metal studs, doors & frames, door hardware and drywall
- Perform preventive maintenance on metal doors & hardware, door closures, electric sliding doors, handicap doors, garage doors, etc.
- Work very closely with Aquarium team members on facility renovations, exhibit design, installation of graphic panels and signage, etc.
- Maintain tool records, oversee power tool maintenance program and maintain hardware stock
- Interact with vendors and sub-contractors
- Perform work in a manner that fosters the Aquarium's mission and reflects its core values and service standards
- Must pass a physical exam required for approval to wear a respirator
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of four years of experience in a carpentry related field
- Driver's license with a good driving record
- Knowledge of commercial building and fire codes
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications
- Proven ability to lay out and install new metal stud walls, windows, doors/frames, and a variety of hardware types
- Proven expertise in anchoring materials to concrete, drywall and masonry products
- Knowledgeable and skilled in erecting a variety of scaffolding systems
- Completion of a carpenter apprenticeship with a general contractor or cabinet shop
- Experienced with the installation of FRP doors and frames
- Other skills related to construction and facility maintenance; mechanical, electrical, concrete placement and finishing, etc.
- Good computer skills; Microsoft & computerized maintenance management systems
- Rigging and lifting experience
- Previous facility maintenance experience
- Drywall finishing and painting skills
Normal office environment
Frequent hot, cold, wet and/or slippery surroundings
Frequent exposure to fumes, smoke, odors, etc.
Much lifting and carrying of heavy objects (must have the ability to lift at least 60 lbs. safely)
Work from ladders, scaffolds and in confined spaces
Full-time, hourly; must be able to work weekends and shift work as needed
Posting ID: 45343793Posted: 2020-02-19