Job Title: Meat Manager Reports to: Store Director Salaried or Hourly: Hourly Job Code: 000740, 100584 Department: Meat Date: March 2015
Position Purpose: To direct the operation of the Meat Department, including supervising and training personnel. Ensures customer service and product quality, freshness, safety and selection.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
· Champions Company and Division customer service programs to meet or exceed Division customer service goals. Handles customer relations in a positive manner, including effective resolution of customer complaints. Promotes Albertson's philosophy of personalized service.
· Supervising the day to day functions of the meat department to achieve customer service, and sales and profit objectives.
· Supervises, motivates, directs, trains and participates in the hiring of meat department personnel. Monitors associate performance and recommend personnel actions such as hiring, firing, layoff and disciplinary actions. Schedules personnel to ensure adequate coverage and service levels and to meet department budgetary objectives.
· Conducts daily inspections of all meat sections and initiates corrective measures to ensure compliance with product quality and trimming and grinding procedures, rotates products, maintains in stock conditions, code date standards, and sanitation, safety and security requirements.
· Assists with all meat department duties such as: receiving, storage, cleaning, customer service, cutting, grinding, wrapping and packaging and stocking.
· Implements effective promotional and seasonal displays. Controls shrink and expenses. Accurately completes and monitors daily log sheet, purchase report, and sales and labor and other required paperwork and logs. Maintains records on ad items movement.
· Orders, checks, receives and controls inventory to ensure adequate and proper inventory level, product quality and freshness and to prevent the sale of out of code products. Takes periodic inventories, processes administrative paperwork and maintains accurate department records. Maintains and organizes meat department cooler and freezer.
· Ensures that product quality, trimming, grinding, packaging, labeling, rotation and wrapping standards are met.
· Ensures proper merchandising of product by understanding and implementing schematics, merchandising of advertised items, proper signing procedures and monitoring product flow. Complies with retail labeling laws, federal and state regulations and Company policies.
· Follows Company policy in pricing and handling re-worked and reduced-to-clear items. Complies with all federal, state and local health, and food handling and safety standards.
· Checks competitors for comparisons on prices, product variety and merchandising procedures.
· Handles customer relation. Assists customers by taking and filling special orders. Makes product suggestions and engages in suggestive selling. May make intercom announcements.
· Ensures cleanliness and sanitation of sales floor and work area, freezer and cooler, equipment, and retail cases.
· Answering and responding incoming calls appropriately. Receives and appropriately resolves customer complaints and reports to the Store Director as appropriate.
· Attends required training.
· Maintains and cleans knives, scales, steamers, display cases, saws, meat tenderizers, slicers, cubers and wrapping equipment.
· Assists with implementing emergency procedures in the event of equipment and computer software malfunctions.
· Ensures that all associates are trained and instructed in the proper performance of work duties. Monitors associate performance and reports observations to the Store Director. Resolves associate complaints and reports to the Store Director as appropriate.
· Maintains confidentiality concerning associates, store sales and other Company information.
· Responsible for performing all job duties and responsibilities safely, accurately and with honesty and integrity.
· Other necessary and required duties.
Skills and Physical Requirements:
· Requires working knowledge of all job duties within the Meat Department including cutting, wrapping, steaming, grinding, cubing, tenderizing and customer service.
· Requires strong communication skills, good leadership and interpersonal skills, the proven ability to manage people and the ability to maintain composure in dealing with customers and co-workers.
· Requires knowledge of employment laws and workplace practices.
· Requires a good understanding of company policies and Meat Department policies and procedures. Requires the ability to judge and react to business activity.
· Must have knowledge of product variety, standards, perishability, food safety, sanitation, labeling and department policies and procedures.
· Frequently reaches, lifts, stacks and maneuvers objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 80 lbs. Bends, stoops and reaches frequently and occasionally climbs ladders. Pushes and pulls fully loaded hand trucks, high boys and pallet jacks. Performs repetitious arm movement to prepare and package products.
· Manual dexterity and good eye-hand coordination are necessary. Must be able to operate meat cutting utensils and equipment.
· Mental alertness is necessary to ensure safe and accurate completion of work activities. Requires knowledge of basic mathematics and weights and measures. Must have knowledge of taste, content and perishability of products, safety and sanitation procedures and department policies and procedures.
· Operates computer software and electronic ordering devices to order products, plan sales, input inventory and schedules, and print labels.
· Utilizes knives, saws, cutters, grinders and other cutting equipment. Utilizes cleaning supplies and equipment. Utilizes safety cutters. Requires use of safety gloves.
· Knowledge of profit and loss statements.
· Will be required to work nights, weekends and holidays. Scheduled hours will vary. Good attendance is required.
· Exposure to potential hazards exists with respect to cutting equipment and other work aids necessary to perform job duties.
· Hands remain moist during majority of work time. Requires the ability to work for prolonged periods of time in an environment with a temperature range of 40˚ to 50˚ Fahrenheit.
· Exposure to 35˚ Fahrenheit while handling products in cold cases, 28˚ Fahrenheit in cooler and -20 degrees Fahrenheit in freezer.
· Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment.
Safety -- Sensitive Position:
Job responsibilities include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the employee performing the task or others.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by employees assigned to this job. If you have questions regarding your ability to physically perform the listed job duties and requirements -- e.g. lifting, standing, bending, etc. - please speak to your Store Director. All team members must comply