City of Davenport Administration Department
Location of position:
Davenport , IA
Monday, May 4, 2020
Under administrative direction, performs work of unusual difficulty involving directing and coordinating the city's fiscal activities and systems; and performs other related work as required.
- Administers and manages the City's fiscal activities including budget planning, research and execution, treasury management, general accounting, revenue collection, purchasing, and other related financial matters.
- Directly supervises and manages four associated divisions including: Finance Administration/Budget, Revenue, Accounting, and Purchasing.
- Recommends, directs, and implements major financial objectives and financial related policies and procedures.
- Directs budget coordination activities and supervises the preparation of the City Administrator's Budget for City Council consideration including the development of department/division business plans, revenue and expense forecasting, payroll projections, debt forecasting, etc.
- Oversees and coordinates the annual bond issuance for capital projects including the management of presentations to bond rating agencies.
- Directs the coordination of the annual financial audit, single audit, and preparation of financial reports.
- Coordinates the development and ongoing tracking of financial incentives and programs related to economic development.
- Reviews and advises on a wide variety of contractual documents involving the use or receipt of city funds.
- Oversees facility-use contracts for Davenport's municipally-owned ballpark and convention center/performing arts theatre.
- Advises the City Administrator and the Mayor/City Council on a variety of fiscal related matters.
- May perform other duties or special projects as assigned by the City Administrator or designee.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field and seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in fiscal management; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Master's degree preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
Comprehensive Knowledge of:
- Public budgeting principles and practices, including the concepts of planning, programming, and budgeting systems.
- Laws and regulations governing municipal budgeting and accounting.
- Methods and techniques of budget management analysis.
Considerable Knowledge of:
- The principles, methods and practices of municipal finance, public purchasing, risk management and public administration.
- Municipal government organization, functions and problems.
- Laws and policies affecting modern personnel management.
Comprehensive skill in:
- Preparation of annual budgets.
- Development and maintenance of sound accounting systems and procedures.
Considerable skill in:
- The administration of information processing systems.
- Scheduling and evaluating the work of subordinate staff.
- Preparing and presenting management and technical reports and other presentations to City officials and the public.
- Analyzing financial and economic trends.
Required Licenses and Certificates
- Certified Public Finance Officer designation or ability to obtain within the first two years of hire.
203 N. LaSalle Street - Suite 2700 | Chicago, IL 60601-1210 | Phone: (312) 977-9700 - Fax: (312) 977-4806
Posting ID: 566876556Posted: 2020-08-09