Req ID: 173925
Address: 595 Perry Road Plainfield, IN, 46168
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION: The tire retread technician will be responsible for performing assigned duties to facilitate the efficient production of quality retread products
JOB SUMMARY: The tire retread technician will perform various daily duties as assigned by the plant manager to insure the demands of commercial retread customers are met on a continual basis
- Use all safety related PPE such as gloves, safety glasses and tire cages while doing any work.
- Visually inspect tires to be retreaded to determine condition
- Further inspect casings utilizing electronic liner detection and X-Ray inspection equipment
- Repairs casings, if needed, utilizing proper procedures and correct size repair patch
- Operate buffing machine to remove existing treads from tires and measure tires to determine proper tread width
- Utilize shearography inspection machine to further inspect buffed casing
- Skive, buff, and fill any injury in tire as required
- Operate cushion extruder to apply cushion to buffed casing
- Operate semi-automatic builder to apply proper size tread to casing
- Select proper size envelope and curing rim apparatus and apply to casing and utilize envelope leak detection devise to insure integrity of the curing envelope
- Place tires in curing chamber and cure tires according to specifications
- Remove tires from chamber after cure and remove curing rims and envelopes
- Inspect tires to insure quality of product and compliance with customer standards
- Trim and paint finished product and apply label
- Inspect finished retread utilizing multiple step high pressure test machine to insure integrity of casing
- Receive and unload supplies including tread rubber, cushion gum and repair materials, envelopes, curing rim, tire casings, rims etc.
- Assists in distribution center activities as assigned
- Inflate inner tubes and immerse them in water to locate leaks.
- Works in wheel reconditioning area as assigned
- Perform routine inspection and maintenance on plant equipment following manufacturers instruction
- Operate plant computer equipment and scanners
- Maintain a safe facility and use safety first practices to remain accident-free.
- Perform weekly and monthly projects and assigned tasks.
- Maintain personal grooming and company uniform standards.
- Maintain company attendance standards.
- Other duties as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- No prior experience required
BACKGROUND CHECKS: All offers of employment may be conditioned on receipt of a background check report and/or drug screen that is acceptable to Love's.
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Hard Skills: Ability to learn and operate all facility equipment including computers, and retreading machinery
- Soft Skills: Good verbal and written communication skills, time management and delegation skills, organization skills, can-do attitude, sense of urgency, and strong work ethic.
- Typical Physical Demands:
- Requires normal range of hearing
- Requires standing and walking, with some bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
- Ability to occasionally move and handle tires weighing up to 100lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Subject to cold and hot temperatures
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to outdoor elements in all seasons. Occasionally, the employee will also be exposed to fumes and particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and can be loud at times. While performing the duties, the employee is frequently exposed to dirt, dust, grime, grease, oil, gas, high-concentrated cleaning solutions etc.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: No travel is required with this position.
Job Function(s): Truck Tire Care
Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores is the industry-leading travel stop network in the United States. For more than 55 years, we've provided customers with highway hospitality and "Clean Places, Friendly Faces." We're passionate about serving drivers with clean, modern facilities stocked with fuel, food and supplies. We offer meals from popular restaurant chains, trucking supplies, showers and everything needed to get back on the road quickly. The Love's Family of Companies includes:
- Gemini Motor Transport, one of the industry's safest trucking fleets
- Speedco, the light mechanical and trucking service specialists
- Musket, a rapidly growing, Houston-based commodities supplier and trader
- Trillium, a Houston-based alternative fuels expert