About MedStar Health
General Summary of Position
Working under the direction of a Registered Nurse, the Nurse Extern utilizes the skills gained as a student in a Nursing degree program to assist the Registered Nurse in the care of a group of patients.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- EDUCATION: Active enrollment as senior nursing student in an accredited nursing program; successful completion of 1 year of a Clinical Nursing Program including Fundamentals of Nursing (or the equivalent); 3.0 or higher GPA (transcripts must be submitted at the end of each semester).
- EXPERIENCE: No experience required.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certification by the Maryland Board of Nursing. Must obtain CPR certification by the end of the orientation period and maintain current CPR certification.
- SKILLS: Ability to demonstrate competencies in intravenous catheter insertions, I.V. site changes (preferred), dressing and inspections, and blood drawing within established time frame. Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with formulating and implementation of the health teaching plan through performance of routine health teaching.
- Assists with implementing the patient's plan of care as delegated by the Registered Nurse.
- Assists with transport of patients, specimens, equipment, and supplies as appropriate. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Collaborates with Registered Nurse to organize own patient care assignment to provide safe, efficient care.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse at the time of patient admission in formulating the nursing plan of care.
- Collects and documents pertinent patient information following policy guidelines; Reinforcement of patient teaching; Completion of patient tasks delegated by the Registered Nurse after entry into the medical record. Obtains data and documents pertinent patient information including vital signs, weights, heights and patient care activities.
- Complies with established hospital personnel policies. Attends mandatory training sessions, staff meetings and town hall meetings. Completes all mandatory education requirements on time.
- Confers with Registered Nurse in identifying patient needs, supporting and preparing transfer or discharge care.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy. Demonstrates effective communication and works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
- Demonstrates the appropriate level of urgency during critical situations.
- Participates in meetings, on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts. Enhances growth and development and enriches personal knowledge and skill through participation in educational programs and affiliations.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs basic procedures such as wound care and simple dressing changes, suctioning, urinary catheter insertion and removal, maintenance of drainage devices, performance of EKG's. Collects specimens including urine, stool, sputum and blood. Provides respiratory therapy support including coughing, deep breathing and set-up of oxygen equipment and pulse oximetry.
- Performs intravenous catheter insertions, changes of I.V. sites and dressings and routine inspection of sites as needed. Performs routine blood drawing function.
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, staff and other departments to the Registered Nurse. Responds to questions from patient, families, and significant others in a prompt, courteous, positive manner, referring them to appropriate personnel if necessary.
- Works cooperatively, communicates effectively and works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Posting ID: 557535784Posted: 2020-08-09