is looking for talented and motivated Mechanical Engineers (BS minimum, MS preferred) with a proven record of industry and academic achievement. The successful candidate must show strong analytical and communication skills, be comfortable doing hands-on work, be a self-starter, be detail oriented, organized and disciplined in completing work assignments, and be prepared to thrive in a collaborative environment.
Thorlabs is a dynamically growing company in the Photonics sector designing and manufacturing complex optical systems from lasers to microscopes. We work hard. But our work is also fun, and we believe it has an impact. The individual will be engaged in the following on a regular basis.
Essential job functions:
- Design and develop opto-mechanical structures for company s advanced products and other optical devices in company s R&D efforts
- Producing mechanical drawings and other manufacturing documents for prototype and production parts.
- Basic optical calculations and simulations in conjunction with mechanical design to verify the design meets the specification
- Communicating with vendors, machine shops, to solve problems during manufacturing mechanical parts
- Maintaining related documentations such as BOMs
- May also be assigned some tasks in helping any mechanical or optical engineering need in the production line
- System level thinking and cross-disciplinary interactions
- Ability to travel
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, optics or instrumentation
Skills & Personal Characteristics:
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience is a MUST
- Strong skills and experiences with mechanical drawing software packages, such as SolidWorks, is a must. SW Simulation or COMSOL is a plus.
- Managing complex assemblies with 100 s of parts
- Experiences on mechanical design of optical or medical devices
- Motion control on micron-level
- Basic knowledge of optical design in free space optics and fiber optics is a plus
- Good communications skills, both oral and written, technical presentation skills a plus
- Metal Machine Shop experience is a plus
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Apply Online Below
Posting ID: 595979607Posted: 2021-01-04