This is a highly skilled technical and professional position which assists with all invasive cardiovascular procedures and other specialized interventional procedures under the direction of the Interventional Radiologist, Cardiologist and Vascular Surgeon and in accordance with established protocols. The Vascular-Interventional Radiographer must be proficient in scrubbing procedures and the use of imaging, processing and patient care related equipment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Clinical: Operates and documents all aspects of procedures performed in the Cardiovascular Lab Department
- Functions as a contributing member of the team, working in conjunction with interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, cardiologists, registered nurses, and cardiovascular technologists.
- Provides the technical skills necessary to assist physicians in performing Interventional Radiology and Catheterization procedures.
- Provides a safe environment for the patient during their Interventional Radiology and Catheterization procedures.
- May function as a Scrub Assistant, ensuring maximum compliance to principles of aseptic/sterile technique by self and with members of the team.
- Ensures adequate floor and room stock are available for imaging procedures.
- Completes all radiology patient information, logs and documentation on each case
- Assists the CV Lab Supervisor in the revision, development and implementation of lab policies, in-service programs and continuing educational programs that enhance the individual technologist's performance, and skills.
- Assists with preparation of imaging and other laboratory equipment to be used during the procedure while adhering to the principles of aseptic/sterile technique.
- Maintains, evaluates and troubleshoots equipment including but not limited to imaging, processing and patient care
- Responsible for the proper use and operation of equipment including but not limited to imaging, processing and patient care equipment.
- Properly positions patient for procedure and informs patient what to expect during the procedure as well as any instructions which the patient needs to follow.
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to assist others as requested.
- Utilizes spare time efficiently to maintain room supplies, clean equipment, check drug supplies, and volunteer to help in other areas as needed.
- Provides input for evaluating products, equipment, procedures, and overall departmental services
- Participates in data collection and results reporting for ongoing quality improvement.
- Participates in required on call coverage when assigned with response time no greater than 45 minutes.
- Environmental: Maintains a clean, safe, prepared work environment
- Prepares room for procedure.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and procedure table.
- Restocks and requests room supplies that have dwindled.
- Checks drug supplies and informs the appropriate person of what needs to be replenished.
- Cleans equipment and work area, wipes down assigned equipment between cases and stocks and maintains supplies at identified inventory levels
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification and licensure.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain certification.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License, competencies, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees, communicating unit knowledge as appropriate
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and committees.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
ï,§ AAS Radiologic Technologist degree required
ï,§ Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Science preferred
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
ï,§ Licensed as Registered Radiology Technologist in the state of Maryland and current ARRT
ï,§ ACLS certification preferred
ï,§ Cardiovascular (CV) Certification preferred
ï,§ Must be familiar with and able to perform and/or learn the technical operations during such procedures as: o angiograms, angioplasties, embolizations, dilations, biopsies, fibrinolysis, venograms and myelograms.
ï,§ Ability to work under stressful and emergent situations.
ï,§ Knowledge of cardiac monitoring and arrhythmia recognition
ï,§ Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
ï,§ Basic Computer skills to perform Data entry
ï,§ Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View, Chart View, PACS,
ï,§ HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
ï,§ Prior clinical experience required. Minimum of six months hands-on training is required
ï,§ Experience scrubbing and monitoring cardiac procedures required
ï,§ Current experience in Interventional Angiography preferred.
ï,§ Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training experience.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.