Caregiving is our Calling
At Amedisys whether we're caring for patients directly or supporting those who do, each of us is a caregiver at heart. Every team member contributes to our mission of providing exceptional, clinically distinct care in the home to thousands of patients and families every day.
In home health, you'll be a true advocate engaging patients throughout their coordinated health care journey all while maintaining autonomy and independence to support their needs.
If you're looking for a home with a Nationwide Company where you can put your skills and experience to work, make a difference every day and pursue your goals for the future, join our team. What You Will Do
As a psychiatric registered nurse and behavioral health nurse in home health, you have a unique opportunity to p rovide one on one, psychiatric/behavioral health and skilled nursing care and treatment to patients in their home. Your primary work will include collaboration with mental health professionals including psychiatrists and psychologists to create a home care plan supporting an individual and their caregivers coping with dementia, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, anxiety, grief, depression and other psychiatric conditions and within the home setting.
- Assesses the medical, cognitive, emotional, psychosocial, safety, developmental status, and behavioral health/psychiatric nursing needs of the patient during the initial nursing evaluation.
- Supervises case load including LPNs and Home Health Aides assigned to the patient managed by the RN Case Manager. Facilitates care coordination with PRN staff when care is provided for caseload.
- Helps to achieve and maintain continuity of patient care by communicating information timely, effectively and systematically with all patient care team members. Facilitates interdisciplinary communication and follow-up through care coordination on assigned caseload for duration that patients are on service.
- Assesses the appropriateness of care and criteria for acceptance to medical as well as behavioral health/psychiatric home health care.
- Reports the status of all new patients to the Clinical Manager and the patient's physician and/or psychiatrist.
- Evaluates the patient's management and compliance with the medical and psychiatric plan of care.
- Maintains awareness for indicators in patient's behavior that call for change in the treatment modality (crisis, suicidal ideation) as well as other medical signs and symptoms.
- Observes and evaluates the physical and mental status of the patient for complications and medication side effects and implements appropriate interventions while working closely with the physician and/or psychiatrist.
- Implements nursing actions that will promote, maintain, or restore physical and mental health, prevent illnesses, and effect rehabilitation.
- Instructs patient/caregiver in cognitive and technical aspects of care, medication regimes, disease processes, safety interventions, ADL care, coping skills, symptom management, and other interventions.
- Administers IM medications, performs lab draws and specimen collections, and educates patient and caregiver in appropriate medical techniques.
- Documents visit, including instructions and interventions, in an accurate and timely manner while complying with the home health care agency's policies and procedures.
- Documents all telephone calls and physician contact for inclusion in the patient's chart.
- Respects patient's and family's rights as defined by the Federal and State laws and Patient Bill of Rights. Respects patient's right to confidentiality and patient's property.
- Establishes emergency procedures, instructs patient/caregiver when to call nurse, MD and 911. Maintains patient safety while a crisis occurs, calling police/911, MD, and nursing supervisor on call, and then documenting in clinical record, and filling out completing an incident report after crisis.
- Communicates closely with MD, interdisciplinary team, agencies and institutions for continuity of care regarding patient's progress. Acts as a case manager in coordinating care for all medical patients and behavioral health/psychiatric patients as assigned.
- Uses universal precautions while administering care to patients and is knowledgeable of policies, procedures, and protocol regarding infection control.
- Supervises home health aides every two (2) weeks and reviews patient care plan as needed.
- Reviews treatment planning under the direction of a physician or psychiatrist every 30 days with updates every 60 days, or before or as patient status changes require. Nursing action, interventions, and goals are stated for each individual patient. Discharge summaries are completed after patient's discharge from home care services.
- Supports health care professionals within the care center for other patients with psychosocial issues, assisting in developing a treatment plan of care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
#amedisys Qualifications Required
- Current and unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse specific to that state the employee is assigned to work by the Company.
- Minimum of one (1) year of clinical experience as a registered nurse.
- A registered nurse must meet one of the following to meet CMS requirements for psychiatric nursing in the home care setting:
- Master's degree in psychiatric or mental health nursing
- Bachelor's degree in nursing with one year recent nursing experience in an active treatment unit in a psychiatric or mental health hospital or outpatient clinic
- Diploma or associate's degree with two years recent nursing experience in an active treatment unit in a psychiatric or mental health hospital or outpatient clinic.
- Current CPR certification.
- Current driver's license, agency-required automobile liability insurance, and availability of personal, dependable transportation to conduct home visits.
- National certification in field of expertise (mental health/psychiatric nursing)
- Experience as a registered nurse with the adult population in a medical - surgical environment.
- Previous home health or hospice experience.
Amedisys is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other legally protected characteristic. Benefits and More
Amedisys cares for our team members with the same commitment we have to our patients. This is reflected in the benefits we provide and the opportunities we make available to our team. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Comprehensive Health Insurance Benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Health Savings Account, Health Reimbursement Account, and Flexible Spending Account options
- Life, Disability, and Other Voluntary Benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with Company Matching Contributions
- Discounted Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Continuing Education
- Fleet car for eligible employees