Eagle, Vyve and Northland are leading broadband Internet providers serving largely non-urban communities in 16 states. A technology leader in the cable and broadband sectors, Vyve Broadband offers an extensive range of broadband, fiber connectivity, cable television and voice services for commercial and residential customers. Residential services include high-speed Internet with speeds up to Vyve Gig, all-digital, high-definition video and fully featured digital voice. Vyve Business Services provides optical Ethernet, PRI and hosted voice services to the business community. Together, Eagle, Vyve and Northland serve areas of Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.
The primary function of the Director of Operations (“Director”) is to manage daily operations of local technical teams in its specified region including coordinating customer service and technical operations to provide a seamless and effective response to customer care. The Director coordinates system upgrades, repairs, and construction The Director communicates regularly to ensure operational priorities are aligned with strategic goals and reports to the Regional Vice President. Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
Management and Operations:
- Manage local technical managers and teams assuring the highest level of customer service.
- Interacts with co-workers, vendors, management and representatives of other organizations to obtain and disseminate information, advise on projects, resolve conflicts, set priorities, coordinate activities, complete projects within time and budget constraints, and provide assistance.
- Monitor and manage key technical metrics.
- Coordinate the management of service initiatives between local offices and relevant call centers.
- Coordinate relations and customer service efforts between local plant management and local business managers to promote smooth working relationships and superior customer service.
- Lead team efforts to provide problem solving and find optimal solutions for daily operations.
- Lead technical efforts in emergency or extraordinary events and promote smooth coordination between business offices and call centers.
- Manage, direct and assure a positive work environment for technical teams including human resource management, establishing career paths, training, hiring, organizational management, and related legal and government regulation.
- Drives activities of commercial business projects and sales by synchronizing technical and business teams.
Headend and HFC Technical Operations
- Responsible for all aspects of the operation and reliability of the headend and over-the-air broadcast reception, fiber backbone, coaxial trunk, and distribution plant.
- Ensures that performance specifications meet or exceed FCC, industry, and Vyve standards.
- Analyzes telecommunications problems and needs (e.g. interference, intelligibility, clarity, etc.) to determine the most appropriate means of reducing, eliminating, and/or avoiding current and future problems and improve communications.
- Directs or conducts engineering studies to determine performance levels and project needs of system hardware/software.
- Researches, gathers, and compiles relevant technical information to enhance, modify, and maintain assigned networks and telecommunications systems. Responsible for planning the development and maintenance of maps and all system documentation to ensure system performance quality and compliance are maintained.
Staff Development & Training
- Works with Technical Operations Managers to review technical skills for each technical staff member to identify training requirements and for the development of consistent skill sets across Vyve plant operations
- Reports and coordinates training needs for each system to the RVP and, Technical Trainer.
- Manages the field staff’s routine training, use, and procedures involving Vyve’s suite of tools.
- Reviews current Tech Progression enrollment and completion status and promotes employee participation in the program.
- Evaluates current employee skills versus current position to identify promotable employees and potential advances in career paths.
System Capital Projects
- Oversee the progress and quality of capital investment projects led by local technical teams.
- Develops long and short term plans for updating equipment, adding capabilities, enhancing existing systems, and providing improved telecommunications statewide.
- Responsible for coordinating with Technical Operations Managers and other staff including headend and HFC project design, planning, construction, documentation, and follow up to ensure that projects meet our approved budget, timeline, service reliability, quality standards, objectives and the Vyve Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for project completion notification and coordination with Customer Service, Marketing and Sales departments.
- As requested, reviews projects submitted by the systems that relate to headend, HFC plant, and test equipment.
- Manages the Regional Quality Assurance team by allocating resources among the region efficiently. Performs sample checks of work performed by the team members and provides feedback and coaching as appropriate.
- During system visits, the Director randomly selects recent installation, repair, and trouble call jobs and then visits the job sites to perform quality control evaluations. Provides the QC evaluation reports to the Technical Operations Manager and Field Supervisor for required action.
- Maintains contacts and relationships with key suppliers of outside plant and headend materials. Leverages Vyve’s buying power to establish the best material discounts and delivery times taking full advantage of available capital funds by completing timely upgrades to meet our business plans.
- Routinely distributes vendor product and pricing information to appropriate system staff.
Management of Employees
- Technical Operations Managers
- Operation Supervisors
- Construction Coordinators
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to cohesively manage and lead a team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results
- Ability to assemble and maintain a strong team and lead the team by example.
- Ability to multi-task various projects and tasks simultaneously, plan strategically and execute programs from start to completion while operating within budget.
- Effectively disseminate information in a positive, motivating but assertive manner.
- Competence to effectively communicate directly with customers, co-workers, vendors and management;
- Well versed in knowledge of voice, data and telecommunications technology, products, and services.
- Well versed in knowledge of DOCSIS and HFC standards and architecture.
- Knowledge of headend configuration and operation in it’s relationship to the HFC network
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Have an aptitude for organization and setting priorities to successfully manage time and workload while working independently or as a team;
- Solid understanding using computers and programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, technical software and the ability to learn and effectively employ new applications.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image and project an optimistic outlook.
- Disciplined to meet critical deadlines.
- Accepts and displays accountability to achieve goals.
- Ability to travel throughout the region on a regular basis
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, long term relationships with individuals and groups at all levels;
- Abide by all Vyve policies and standards as described in the employee handbook and by management.
- Must be able to speak clearly.
- Must be able to write and type.
- Regularly sits and stands during working hours for prolonged periods.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent; College degree preferred
Experience: 10 years operations management experience with at least 5 years’ experience in cable/Internet operations. Previous experience managing technical teams is required; history of progressive advancement within an organization; proven track record of successful team building, collaboration, negotiation and motivation; well documented history of progressive and effective leadership and management success with an inclusive, team oriented management style;
Required Skills: Must possess and maintain valid driver’s license and ability to maintain good driving record. Ability to fulfill the job duties, skills and responsibilities listed above.
The above is a summary of responsibilities. Vyve anticipates that the job responsibilities described herein may change from time to time as the needs of the system are developed.
Vyve Broadband is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, veteran status, reserve or National Guard status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Powered by JazzHR