Organization: Oneota Community Food Co-op
HOURS: FULL TIME, 37.5-40 HOURS/WEEK, FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE
REPORTS TO: BOARD OF DIRECTORS (PLEASE NOTE THE CO-OP OPERATES UNDER POLICY GOVERNANCE)
The General Manager is responsible for the operational leadership of the Co-op. In this position, the General Manager implements Board policies and management of the business in a manner that enhances the cooperative principles for member-owners, employees, members, and community connections. The General Manager will oversee and lead the management team to:
- Ensure operational excellence by providing a variety of healthy, high-quality, organic, and locally produced foods/goods.
- Provide superb customer service from well-trained, educated and motivated employees under strong governance.
- Be supportive of a thriving, ethical, sustainable, and economically sound enterprise for our member-owners, employees, stakeholders, and local connections.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Attends all monthly Board Meetings and Finance Committee meetings.
- Submits outcomes of the Board of Directors' overall policies, objectives, and metrics for the Board's approval.
- Provides the Board with financial and operational reports as required and/or requested.
- Keeps the Board regularly informed of the progress and results of cooperative operations for conformity with the Strategic Plan, established objectives, budgets, and policies.
- Advises and informs the Board on current operations, including potential threats and opportunities.
- Oversees and coordinates implementation of Board policies.
- Provides necessary information to the Board within the required time frame.
- Demonstrates ability to present material and ideas to the Board in an effective and well-documented manner.
- Demonstrates openness to questions, suggestions and constructive comments from the Board.
- Establishes operating and capital budgets within time frame required.
- Demonstrates effective budget control.
- Provides monthly financial reports to the Board.
- Controls cash flow to ensure regular discounting of bills, enhance purchasing power, meet all obligations when due, and meet all commitments.
- Measures and evaluates revenue generating department performance to ensure appropriate contribution total financial performance.
- Ensures highest level of credit standing.
- Maintains necessary financial records.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures required to achieve operational excellence for a superb shopping experience by providing high quality goods and services, local and organic products, food safety and hygiene best practices, and outstanding customer service from well-trained, educated, and motivated employees.
- Directs and supervises management team.
- Manages senior management, including hiring, training, and discipline.
- Reviews achievement of performance and service standards, taking corrective action when needed.
- Oversees advertising and promotion strategy.
- Ensure adequate insurance for Co-op, and maintain security of building, equipment, inventory, staff and customers.
- Ensure cleanliness, safety, and maintenance of Co-op's physical plant.
- Observes proper and safe procedures for handling shoplifting, theft, robbery, and inappropriate behavior at the Co-op.
- Responsible for selection, employment, training, performance review, and discipline of management with emphasis on internal advancement.
- Develops pay and benefit programs to provide internal and external equity.
- Encourages employees' involvement as a resource for generating new ideas, highlighting and resolving existing problems, and identifying opportunities for improvement for sound policy development.
- Maintains good working relationships with employees and is accessible.
- Oversees establishment and maintenance of training programs for job performance, safe working environment, and job advancement.
- Follows store-wide policies and procedures as set out in the Personnel Policy Manual and by the management team.
- Ensures that the Co-op meets local, state, and federal regulations regarding wages, hours, and working conditions.
- Directs and maintains the business as a cooperative society.
- Obtains necessary input from members, stakeholders, and community connections about products, services, and issues affecting the Co-op.
- Establishes and maintains excellent member relations.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing cooperative and consumer goods-related education programs.
- Establishes and maintains positive cooperative profiles in the local community and cooperative community.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with local food organizations and partners including local farms, natural foods producers, and related community-based organizations.
- Provides education and support to local officials on matters related to regulations and other policies regarding local and natural foods and products.
- Attend conferences, confer with consultants and other co-ops, read literature to keep abreast of ideas relating to co-op management, food products, and nutrition.
- Perform other tasks that may be assigned by the Board.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ten (10) years in business and personnel management in the grocery and/or retail industry OR Bachelor's degree in management or related field AND three (3) years in business and personnel management in the grocery and/or retail industry OR any equivalent combination of education, experience or training.
- Preference will be given to applicants with cooperative grocery experience and experience managing a grocery/deli combination.
- Excellent supervisory, organizational, and training skills.
- Ability to understand and work effectively in a cooperative environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; listens openly to others; can explain complicated ideas in a variety of ways.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining strong relationships within a diverse community.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office, web-based communication boards, and electronic mail.
- Proven ability to understand, interpret, and present financial data.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Fine motor skills required to operate computers, printers, scanners, and other office equipment.
- Periods of sitting and computer usage are required daily.
- Nature of work often requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Due to the structure of the facility, must be able to climb stairs multiple times per day.
- Adjustable focus vision (with or without glasses) for reading detailed pricing information on screens or paper is a must.
This position description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
Posting ID: 567178374Posted: 2020-08-09