Director of Business Development (Newport, RI) in Middletown, RI at THOR Solutions
THOR Solutions is seeking an experienced Director of Business Development to work with THOR's Chief Operating Officer (COO) to define and chart the course of the company. This position is considered part of the THOR Senior Leadership Team and reports directly to the THOR COO.
Duties of the Director of Business Development include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess the viable markets available to THOR for potential growth. In conjunction with the company's Strategic Planning initiatives, recommend market focus areas that align with the company's goals and objectives.
- Work closely with THOR's cadre of Market Owners to identify new opportunities; perform target research; qualify opportunities for bidding; and complete exhaustive capture and proposal readiness activities.
- Work directly with our proposal development Team to prepare and deliver compliant, winning proposals.
- Develop and maintain solid business relationships with customers, competitors, and existing/potential teammates to foster teaming opportunities.
- Conduct market and target research and develop market and target insights in areas such as requirements definition, acquisition strategy, acquisition timing, and the competitive landscape.
- Develop and track business development metrics, and periodically present them to THOR's Executive Steering Committee (ESC).
- Identify ways to enhance or streamline the tools, templates, systems, and processes associated with performing business development activities across the company.
The Director's primary work location is negotiable. However, it is preferred that the individual be located within commuting distance to one of THOR's primary offices in Arlington, Virginia; Virginia Beach, Virginia; Newport, Rhode Island; or San Diego, California.
This position will require significant travel (estimated at approximately 25-30%) to support industry events, trade shows, meetings with partners, and corporate activities.
Security Clearance Requirements
The candidate must possess an active SECRET security clearance or be able to obtain and maintain one.
Education and Training Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess a Master's degree in Management, Government, Business Administration, or an applicable technical field (i.e., Engineering, Naval Architecture).
- Additional years of directly-related experience, combined with a relevant but lesser degree (Bachelor's, Associate's), will be considered.
- Prior active-duty military or civil service experience is a plus.
- Additional formal training relevant to Business Development, such as Shipley Training or another BD "bootcamp", is also a plus.
The ideal candidate will have the following relevant experience:
- A minimum of ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in a business development team for a federal government technical or professional services firm. Ideally, a significant portion of that experience would be while in a BD Leadership role.
- Prior hands-on experience with the full spectrum of business development phases (market identification; target identification; target qualification; target capture; and proposal development) is required.
- Experience writing, editing, and reviewing technical proposal materials and content.
- Demonstrated success capturing business in all or most of the following markets:
- US Department of Homeland Security, including the US Coast Guard and US Customs and Border Protection.
- US Department of Defense, including the US Navy, US Army and US Air Force.
- US Department of Veteran's Affairs.
- Experience working within Multiple Award Contracts (MACs), Government Wide Acquisition Contracts (GWACs) and other sourcing vehicles including:
- SeaPort Next Generation (NxGen).
- VA Veteran Enterprise Contracting for Transformation and Operational Readiness (VECTOR).
- NAVAIR Program and Systems Support (PASS).
- GSA One Acquisition Solution for Integrated Services (OASIS) and other GSA Multiple Award Schedules.
- Experience building successful teams and maintaining strategic relationships.
- Experience leading multiple simultaneous captures and/or proposals.
Skill and Attribute Requirements
The ideal candidate will hold the following set of skills and attributes:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop meaningful relationships with potential customers and business partners.
- Ability to clearly communicate and negotiate with the senior leadership of potential teammates.
- Ability to identify, collect, track, and report meaningful BD metrics and present them in a clear, concise fashion to the THOR Executive Steering Committee and Leadership Team.
- Advanced capabilities with the Microsoft Office suite of products including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Project, and Visio.
- Familiarity and experience working with databases and collaborative platforms including Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and Smartsheet.
- Disciplined, self-motivated, organized, and task/schedule focused.
THOR Solutions, LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. THOR considers all qualified applicants for employment, without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.