California (LA or SFO) Excelerate US
- Accounting + Finance
Reporting to our Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the VP & Corporate Controller
will play a pivotal role in our accounting and finance function with core responsibilities for (1) implementing and maintaining strong accounting controls and processes, (2) owning our public reporting processes, and (3) serving as a key member of our financial leadership team. The VP & Corporate Controller is expected to identify best practices across their areas of responsibility and deliver proactive insights, roadmaps, and solutions at across both brand and platform level operations. This role has broad autonomy and discretion to ensure the overall execution of their duties and is expected to demonstrate strong business partner and communication skills.Serving as member of the Financial Leadership team, you will have direct accountability for:
- 55% - Controllership (Financial Accounting & Management, Group Consolidations, & Platform Reconciliations)
- 10% - Tax Strategy & Compliance (Tax Reporting, Strategy, Reconciliation, Reporting, & Audit)
- 30% - Financial & SEC Reporting (Internal, External, & Regulatory)
- 5% - Other Duties (Risk Management, Cross Functional Projects, & All Other Duties)
Tax Strategy & Compliance Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly group consolidated financial statements and management reporting packages.
- Own and perform the monthly financial close for the platform and management entity (holdco).
- Review monthly Brand level financial statements and oversee reforecast efforts at both the Brand and Platform level.
- Develop and manage strong, collaborative relationships with global Platform team members and Brand level Finance teams.Providing guidance to and oversee Brand finance teams.
- Prepare group consolidated financial update slides for quarterly Board of Director meetings.
- Lead the consolidated Platform annual audit by managing Brand Controllers and Platform (holdco) level audit
- Lead the implementation of Brand level internal control procedures and ensure compliance with applicable SOX requirements.
- Ensure the timely and accurate reporting of Brand and Platform financial results and various supporting deliverables.
- Identify and leading special projects as needed to ensure that accounting and reporting issues are properly remediated.
- Continuously improve all other consolidation procedures and controls, streamlining efforts for Brand Finance team while increasing quality of data and communication of results.
Financial & SEC Reporting Responsibilities:
- Oversee compliance and filings for all areas of tax, including corporate income tax, sales tax, and overseas taxes.
- Review company's quarterly tax provision and evaluate with outside tax advisors long-term tax strategy.
- Coordinate and oversee all third-party tax preparation, filings, and audits.
- Work independently and with third-party providers to identify and claim potential tax credits and savings opportunities.
Other Duty Responsibilities:
- Participate in external reporting system implementations, including automation efforts and other improvements to the reporting process/efforts, to streamline processes, increase efficiency, and the overall effectiveness of both Brand and Platform reporting and financial analysis.
- Lead the preparation of quarterly and year-end SEC filings (10-Q and 10-K), including financial and business sections, risk factors, footnotes, MD&A, iXBRL tagging, and management review.
- Oversee the preparation and completion of the Statement of Cash Flows.
- Design and implement XBRL process improvements and automation.
- Prepare and file press release and supplemental slides and scripts for quarterly earnings calls and non-standard reporting events.
- Calculate stock-based compensation and earnings per share, including preparation of forecasts.
- Lead and coordinate with Brand Controllers and external auditors regarding required financial reporting-related deliverables.
- Monitor major corporate events, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity offerings, stock-based compensation and assess their accounting impact for Form 8-K and other required SEC disclosures.
- Monitor and enhance formal processes to ensure that appropriate evidential support is maintained to support all disclosures in the Company's SEC filings and documenting as appropriate.
- Assist Investor Relations & Business Development teams with the preparation of analyst presentations and press releases, ensuring they are consistent with SEC filings.
- Create and maintain SEC calendar, coordinate key timelines and deliverables, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure timely, accurate and complete SEC filings.
- Assist with the internal and external stakeholder review of the reporting deliverables.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) coordinate the preparation and consolidation of both routine and ad-hoc materials for the Board of Directors and investors.
- Conduct research and share best practices around a variety of business topics including (ecommerce, marketing, digital transformation, and retail innovation).
- Facilitate global “knowledge-shares” between cross-functional and cross-brand teams by hosting routine and ad-hoc roundtable events with key stakeholders with an emphasis in finance and accounting.
- Working collaboratively with the SVP of People, maintain the company's insurance coverage (property, liability, D&O etc.).
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting; MBA strongly preferred. However, prior directly related work experience can be applied on a year-for-year basis in lieu of an earned degree.
- Six plus (6+) years of experience as Controller (or similar role) in a global business.
- Four plus (4+) years of SEC reporting experience (10-Q's, 10-K's, 8-K's and Proxy Statements) including drafting, in a managerial role.
- Experience with implementing and executing detailed XBRL tagging.
- B2C ecommerce/retail experience required. Traditional retail or consumer product experience with inventory management responsibilities is highly desired.
- Big 4 accounting/audit experience preferred.
- Self-starter, strong time management. and project management skills are essential to success.
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills, and collaboration skills critical to the role.
- Amazing attention to detail required for compliance and external reporting responsibilities.
- Strong planning and forward-looking skills with the ability to conceptualize what we'll need 2-3 years down the road.
- An adaptive, urgent and flexible approach that is tailored to a small company where you will collaborate with all functions.
- Experience with NetSuite or other mid-tier ERP highly preferred. ERP implementation experience is a plus.
Posting ID: 574093005Posted: 2020-09-17