Research Scientist, Preservation - Decatur, IL
This is a full time, exempt level position, reporting to the Director of Wellness R&D.
ADM, a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world's premier agricultural origination and processing company, has an opening for a Research Scientist at our Corporate Research center located in Decatur, Illinois!
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with a strong background in plant based ingredients and botanical extracts to carry out lab bench research and support the development of our Health and Wellness ingredient portfolio!Job responsibilities
Skills and proficiencies
- Apply fundamental understanding and scientific principles/mechanisms of ingredients to build innovative natural preservatives platform
- Develop product formulations utilizing the extracts in both solid and liquid delivery systems, including emulsion and microemulsion based formulation based on the solubility of extracts
- Evaluate the oxidative stability in food systems caused by lipids and proteins in variety of food matrix using Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) and traditional analytical methods for lipid oxidation
- Manage and run multiple shelf life stability studies
- Design and execute in lab and pilot scale experiments, analyze and interpret results, and communicate findings in technical reports and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Conduct in-depth research to understand structure/function relationship of food ingredients in end use applications, such as beverage, bakery, snacks, meats/processed meat, pet food, and other heath & wellness food categories
- Maintain laboratory notebook, equipment, and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating, and repairing)
- Mentor junior scientists to run routine lab analysis and experimentation
- Participate in and communicate research findings in meetings with R&D, operations, and commercial partners
- Lead projects independently and collaboratively on matrix teams in a fast-paced environment to deliver from proof of concept prototype through product commercialization
- Support development of intellectual property related to product innovation and technology
- PhD or MS Degree in Food Science, Chemistry or related field of study, with 1-2 years of experience in academic/industry environment
- Strong fundamental understanding of:
- ingredients and synergies in product development
- lipid oxidation understanding and analysis, including Electron Spin Resonance
- Experience with:
- formulation development utilizing surfactant science, including emulsions and microemulsions
- understanding and characterizing the oxidative stability of lipids in finished products
- creating assays for ingredients for antioxidant functionality
- Ability to:
- lead and champion a safe working environment
- solve challenging and scientifically complex problems
- construct a robust experimental design based on statistical principles
- perform multiple projects and priorities concurrently with knowledge of stage-gated project management
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-functional teams within Research, plant and business units
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and be a great teammate, and have good written and verbal communication skills
The position requires approximately 10-20% travel and will be based in Decatur, IL.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of applicable pre-employment drug screen and a background investigation.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to ReasonableAccommodations@adm.com. Include your contact information, a description of the position for which you are applying, and the nature of your requested accommodation. City
IL - Illinois Ref ID
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status. About ADM:
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We're a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world's premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn more at www.adm.com.