Human Resource Manager FLSA
Grocery Revision Date
: 05/2018General Function
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Updates payroll system. Counsels with department heads and employees regarding performance reviews, personnel issues, scheduling, benefits, wages, etc. Coordinates a variety of administrative duties including facilitating, recruiting, hiring, payroll, performance reviews, orientation, benefits, employee counseling, etc. Works closely with the store management to ensure maximum employee satisfaction and retention.Reporting Relations
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director, HWH, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers HWH, Perishables, and Store Operations
Direct Reports: All other store positions and any assigned by Store DirectorPrimary Duties and Responsibilities
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by:
escorting them to the products they're looking for
securing products that are out of reach
loading or unloading heavy items
making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Coordinates the inputting, changing, and deleting of employee information in the VLM system (time and attendance).
- Counsels with department head and employee regarding performance reviews, scheduling, benefits, wages, etc. and acts as the Insurance Coordinator and 401(k) Coordinator.
- Handles and satisfies customer complaints, sends follow up letters, and thank you letters.
- Develops effective recruiting and retention programs to facilitate the staffing of the store; coordinates the transfer of employees from one store to another.
- Facilitates the hiring process and may be involved in the interviewing and placement of specified positions.
- Tracks vacation and personal days for store employees.
- Conducts orientation and trains new employees.
- Attends weekly staff meetings and assistant manager meetings.
- Adjusts hours and departments; takes time clock readings, etc.
- Conducts performance reviews and exit interviews.
- Makes payroll adjustments including extra bonuses, missed pay raises, etc. and sends to payroll.
- Provides department heads and management with standard reports.
- Transmits sales, hours, adjustments, and accounts receivable to corporate office on a weekly basis.
- Disperses paychecks, W-2's, Trust Fund/401(k) reports/year end employee income and benefits reports, and other company and store communications (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.)
- Posts hours worked by employees.
- Prepares employee wage and employment verifications, as well as disability claims, leave of absence requests, and extensions.
- Records and follows up on Workers Compensation claims and issues and fills out accident reports on customers, both property damage and personal injuries.
- Schedules employees as needed, honors employee time off requests, and replaces employees that call in.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Education and Experience
- Coordinates and often conducts quarterly part-time employee meetings.
- Coordinates store events (Holiday party, Springtime Party, etc.).
- Assists with quarterly bonus meetings.
- Coordinates store Service Award program for all employees.
- Conducts tours of store for schools and civic organizations.
- Orders supplies for office and departments.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
High school, plus 2-3 years of other schooling (HR and Accounting) and Hy-Vee experience. Six months or less of similar or related work experience.Physical Requirements
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics
- Must be physically able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization, and interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic and calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must possess the ability to interview, counsel or advise people; evaluate data, compose correspondence.
This position is occasionally exposed to chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.Equipment Used to Perform Job
Computer, VLM (Time and Attendance software), Microsoft Word, Outlook, calculator, phone, fax, copier, lotto machine, two wheeler, box cutters, and pallet jack.Financial Responsibility
Responsible for payroll, accounts receivable, computer, and cash. Purchases uniforms/dress shirts, supplies, employee/store promotion, and processes cash advances.Contacts
Has daily contact with customers and employee parents. Has monthly contact with the general public, community or trade/professional organizations, and federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies. Has occasional contact with suppliers/vendors.Confidentiality
Has access to confidential information including employee records.