Assistant Meat Manager FLSA
Meat Revision Date
: 03/2009General Function
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Assists Department Manager to present the freshest most innovative and best quality products at a competitive retail price to customers.Reporting Relations:
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers, Meat Manager
Direct Reports: Meat Specialists, Meat Wrap Coordinators, ClerksPrimary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
• escorting them to the products they're looking for
• securing products that are out of reach
• loading or unloading heavy items
• making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
• performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking product orders.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Ensures department standards are met.
8. Reviews the status and appearance of product for freshness and pulls by stale date.
9. Ensures display case product is rotated and replenished.
10. Prepares cutting lists for case fills.
11. Offers meal solutions, and gives advice on preparation to customers.
12. Handles and satisfies customer issues.
13. Conducts cutting tests.
14. Orders new items (not strictly replenishment).
15. Ensures proper temperatures and storage procedures are maintained to guarantee freshness and control shrink of product.
16. Trains new employees.
17. Tenderizes, grinds, and cuts merchandise.
18. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat, and maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
19. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
20. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assumes management duties in absence of Department Manager.
2. Wraps, weighs, and labels product.
3. Performs cleaning in the department.
4. Provides input on goals and pricing.
5. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
6. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.Supervisory Responsibilities:
Instructs, assigns, reviews and plans work of others. Maintains standards, coordinates activities, and allocates personnel.Education and Experience:
High School or equivalent, Computer meat program, Hy-Vee food safety training, Cornell Home Study food safety course (Effective 03/07/96), Dale Carnegie is encouraged. Over one year of related work experience preferred.Physical Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force (energy exerted) occasionally; exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is exposed daily to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and electrical shock. This is a fast paced work environment.Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Power ban saw, Grinder, Tenderizer, Slicer, Bone duster (where applicable), Knives, Tumblers, Automatic patty machine (where applicable), Automatic stuffer, Wrapping system, Rotisserie, Pallet jack, box cutter, Computer, Telexon ordering unit, and C.A.R.S. reordering system.Financial Responsibility:
Responsible for company assets including equipment and merchandise.Confidentiality:
Has access to confidential information including ads, gross profit percentage, wages, sales, pricing, and employee information.Contacts:
Deals with customers on a daily basis, works with governmental or regulatory agencies regularly, has contact with vendors and suppliers and community organizations.