Colorado School of Mines Alumni Job Center
Mott MacDonald is looking for a team leader with around 20 years of experience in rail systems engineering. The successful Principal Electrical Engineer will lead our Rail Systems team in San Ramon, CA and will be responsible for providing leadership and technical support to Mott MacDonald projects across the West Coast of the US and potentially across North America.
The Rail Systems team in San Ramon is currently focused on Traction Electrification disciplines, but under the leadership of the
Principal Electrical Engineer our ambition is for this team to grow both within Electrification and into other systems discipline areas.
The role will feature the following aspects:
- Lead systems design for projects of all sizes. Take responsibility for development of high-quality Traction Power, OCS, communications and train control solutions, from concept through to detail design
- Expand the role of the San Ramon Rail Systems team into new areas such as Systems Engineering and Assurance, Integration, Interface and Requirements Management
- Initiate and lead efforts to optimize constructability, through collaboration with Owners and Contractors
- Provide expert assistance to Owners and Contractors during the design and installation phases, to optimize installation methods and deliver high-quality solutions; during the testing and commissioning phase to ensure progress to schedule and rigorous testing and recording of electrification systems installation
- Provide expert assistance to Contractors and Owners in the optimization of Rail systems performance during testing and Operational phases
- Develop concise, coherent and clear technical specifications for the Design and Construction of rail systems
- Oversee Contractor's activities in the delivery of rail systems, recording progress, specification compliance, non-conformances and deviations
- Provide technical and quality assurance oversight for rail systems projects involving the delivery of new, and upgrade of existing rail systems. This will include the technical review of design and submittals against Contract requirements
- Management and organizational oversight of Rail Systems engineers, initially in the Electrification team and expanding into other Rail Systems discipline areas. Manage staffing engagement, motivation and deployment for the team to ensure ongoing quality of service to Clients in accordance with the consultancy agreement
- Provide leadership to the team to deliver growth in numbers and work backlog
- Develop and grow industry network contacts to raise the profile of Mott MacDonald's capabilities generally, and specifically in rail systems engineering. to generate interest and new work
- Provide technical and team leadership through excellent example, good team leadership characteristics, innovation, collaboration and decisive action.
- Motivate teams to excel in technical delivery, on-time performance and development of positive Client relationships.
- Provide detailed analysis and solutions to emerging managerial and technical problems
- Provide expertise in the preparation and production of contract documentation
- Ensure a quality process is implemented for any design, upgrades, manufacturing, installation and/or testing & commissioning project phases
This is a senior leadership role within the Mott MacDonald matrix structure: line management is through the local business unit - Northern California, based in San Ramon - and the role will also occupy a senior position within the Rail Systems and Rail and Transit Practices, and will be expected to deliver positive results in both the business unit and the practices.
Specific requirements for a successful candidate are:
- Around 20 years of experience in Rail Systems engineering
- 15 years of experience in the management of rail systems design and construction
- Proven team leader with refined staffing, development and deployment skills
- Focus on client requirements including technical, schedule and budget
- Proven business developer, with experience in developing Client relationships and providing exceptional Client satisfaction
- Capable of completing work in a controlled environment to meet budget and schedule requirements
- A masters or bachelor's degree in a relatable subject.
- PE registration for California is desired
Job Profile :
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version , Spanish version , Chinese version .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or disability status.
- Job ID: 54280580
San Ramon, California, United States
NJ, United States
- Position Title: Systems engineering lead
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding our clients through many of the planet's most intricate challenges.We employ over 16,000 people, delivering projects in Africa, Asia Pacific and Australasia, Europe, the Middle East, North and South America, and South Asia. But you get the kind of openness, friendliness and personal commitment you might associate with a much smaller business.Mott MacDonald's universe of creative thinkers is centred around our clients - you. We're jo...
Senior / principal traction power engineer
Colorado School of MinesGolden, CO 80402