The overall purpose of the Culinary Assistant position is to assist with the preparation of meals and snacks for residents within guidelines of the facility. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESPerforms duties and responsibilities with assigned functional area within a nursing home facility which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Reads, understands, and complies with State Regulations established for Food Service departments.
- Assists in preparation of food according to the menu for the day, so that residents will receive the meals they are expecting, and they will be well-balanced and healthy for the residents.
- Assists in following all requests for special diets in order to assure good resident health.
- Assists in placing food servings on plates using standard measuring ladles, scoops, spoons, etc. in order to assure residents are getting sufficient portions. Makes sure plates are attractively presented by using appropriate placement and garnishes as necessary.
- Hot foods are at 140-160 degrees when served and cold foods at 34-40 degrees Fahrenheit when served.
- Meals are served on time according to the established and posted meal times for the community, every time.
- Provides residents "seconds" as needed to satiate their appetites.
- Is not wasteful of food during the food preparation time. Saves all usable leftovers to be used with another meal.
- Assists in preparing snacks for residents according to snack schedule and menu in order to assure residents are getting adequate nutrition and hydration.
- Properly cleans all equipment and work areas, including walls and floors, in order to provide a sanitary kitchen environment.
- Assures all open food in refrigerators and freezers are covered and dated and that outdated food is discarded promptly.
- Demonstrates responsibility for the food service operation in the absence of the Dietary Manager.
- Washes and sanitizes dishes according to foodservice standards. Prepares sanitation sink according to directions and monitors and documents sanitizing solution levels. Assures dish wash water is at least 150-160 degrees before beginning to wash dishes. Assures rinse water is at least 180 degrees.
- Operates the dishwashing process in an organized fashion. Scrapes and stacks dirty dishes in preparation for cleaning. After food is served, keep dirty dishes running through the dish machine until all dishes are clean and ready for the next meal.
- Assures all freezers are maintained at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or below and refrigerators are maintained at 34-40 degrees Fahrenheit daily and the temperatures are documented.
- Presents a clean and neat appearance, wearing aprons, hair nets, and other protective clothing as necessary.
- Collects and places garbage and trash in designated containers.
- Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent personal or health information concerning residents and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned and which relate to the success of Four Fountains Convalescent and the care, comfort, and happiness or our residents.
- Assists with nutritional education for residents, patients, families, and caregivers.
Qualifications EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The Culinary Assistant must have the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- To be qualified for this position you must maintain a current Food Services Sanitation certificate and have one (1) year job related experience including food preparation, full-line menu items and therapeutic diets.
- To be successful you will need to have the ability to handle multiple priorities, possess written and verbal skills for effective communication be competent in organizational, time management skills and demonstrate good judgment, problem solving and decision making skills.
- You will also need to demonstrate your ability to serve seniors in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with residents, their families, vendors, community, and staff; also ability to respond to public inquiries and complaints in a tactful, effective manner.
- Knowledge of customer service techniques.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment within established guidelines.
Posting ID: 565733859Posted: 2020-09-02