Akron Children's Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children's hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Primary responsibilities will be at the Medina office with the opportunity to float to the other Regional Locations.
The Patient Service Representative II - Medical Assistant provides a series of functions including but not limited to the following: • Maintain the integrity of patient demographic information; • Maintain pateint insurance and billing information and execute registration and billing functions; • Schedule patient appointments; • Perform patient arrival and departure functions; • Prepare patients for examinatin and provide quality care; • Execute point-of-service activities including visit preparation, co-payment collection and patient tracking.
1. Provide for smooth running of office by setting and revising priorities based on workload and anticipating needs and deadlines.
2. Greet all patients and patient families in a polite and respectful manner.
3. Responsible for the overall appearance of the department.
4. Follows through on routine tasks and general office duties (i.e., faxing, copying, filing, mailings, promptly returning phone calls, etc.).
5. Maintain appointment calendars for physicians and schedule patient visits or other diagnostic testing utilizing hospital procedures and resources.
6. Develops and maintains positive relationships with patients and families via prompt and caring response to questions, requests, etc.
7. Knowledge of health insurance and managed care requirements with regard to referrals and diagnostic tests, including accurate and timely completion/submission of forms for the various insurance companies.
8. Performs point-of-service activities such as visit preparation, co-payment collection and patient tracking - under the direction of the Practice Manager.
9. May be temporarily assigned to an area within Akron Children's Hospital, based on patient/business needs requiring the skill sets of a PSRII/MA.
10. Works under the supervision and direction of a Physician or a licensed nurse, providing specific care to designated patients.
11. Prepares patients for examination; takes and records vital signs; performs phlebotomy as needed; administers medications as directed by the physician according to policy and procedure
12. Accurately communicates patient findings and pertinent information to the licensed nurse utilizing appropriate communication/documentation process (e.g. SBAR) and reports patient complaints and/or signs of distress/pain promptly to the nurse responsible for the patient.
13. Able to prioritize and execute tasks for the assigned patients in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of the licensed nurse.
14. Documentation of care within the EPIC system will be completed in a precise, accurate manner abiding by established guidelines for charting.
15. Follows safety policies and procedures in the delivery of care to assure a safe environment for patients, families and other staff members.
16. Accurately collects, processes and submits laboratory specimens.
17. Completes all assignments during scheduled working hours.
18. Cleans and prepares exam rooms.
19. Other duties as Assigned.
1. Working knowledge of computerized appointment scheduling system, patient billing, insurance claim processing and other office related functions. Knowledge of and experience in medical terminology and/or CPT-ICD-CM coding is preferred.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively via telephone or face-to-face with patients, patient families, physicians and other staff members within the facility. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and coordinate their completion in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Experience working in a healthcare environment is preferred.
4. Ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute (wpm) is required.
5. Experience working in electronic charting software (e.g. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
6. Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar software is required.Education and Experience
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required; Associate's degree in related field is preferred.
2. Certification: Completion of state approved Medical Assistant Program, EMT or Paramedic Program is required;
3. Certification: Basic Life Saving (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association is required.
4. Phlebotomy certification is preferred.
5. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
6. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: