Carlsbad, CA, USA
- Opportunity.OpportunityDetail.PostedLabel : July 17, 2020
Help us revolutionize the approach to spine surgery!
ATEC Spine is seeking a Director, Medical Education responsible for directing the development and execution of Medical Education programs that support the clinical and technical knowledge transfer regarding new and existing product and procedural solutions to both medical and sales professionals in a dynamic start-up environment.
This position will act with autonomy and authority to implement ATEC's surgeon and sales educational strategies, integrating with the Product Marketing and Field Sales teams, and in collaboration with and supervision by the Executive Vice President, Clinical Strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops educational strategies and implements programs to support surgeon engagement and procedural adoption
- Oversees coordination and execution of the Visiting Surgeon Program, including requisition processes, agenda development, logistics planning, appropriate use of internal resources, post-visit action items and accountability
- Creates tools and program collateral as appropriate (e.g., communication and/or tracking software; program calendar, brochure, sell sheets)
- Identifies educational facility needs and approves equipment and specimen purchases for cadaver lab
- Oversees implementation of all cadaver lab policies and standard operating procedures to comply with all relevant health hazard standards and regulations (e.g., tissue handling, blood borne pathogens, radiation safety, et al.)
- Supports the R&D effort by planning and coordinating new product development validation surgeon visits and labs
- Acts as Host of surgeon visits, managing Medical Education team and other participants toward smooth agenda flow and execution, while representing the face of ATEC Medical Education to guests
- Develops pool of surgeon faculty to support peer-to-peer opportunities; includes defining annual needs, identification of qualified key opinion leaders, HCP contracting, training, engagement, tracking of hours, and payment
- Develops and maintains relationships with surgeons and sales
- Develops educational strategies and implements programs to support comprehensive and scalable sales training, taking into consideration marketing strategic plans and current sales results
- Works with business partners including sales management, corporate personnel, sales agents, and field sales representatives to introduce, train, promote, and increase the competence with, confidence in, and utilization of ATEC products
- Drives engagement with Marketing team to create new and maintain existing educational materials for virtual and live courses
- Oversees the Medical Education team's execution of live sales training events, including planning, communications, logistics, corporate personnel participation, lab activities, etc.
- Acts as Trainer during live training events, providing clinical, educational and technical product expertise in support of corporate objectives
- Maintains all certification vendor hospital credentialing
- Works with Sales Management to identify individual rep training plans and accountability measures
- Manages Medical Education staff, including hiring, goal-setting, performance reviews, and time management
- Holds team members accountable and incentivizes performance for strong cultural engagement
- Remains informed on company and competitive products and services
- Participates in company and industry events such as sales meetings, seminars, training programs, conventions, trade shows, and other events as requested
- Meets department financial objectives by forecasting training requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, and analyzing variances
- Analyzes and reports on department metrics monthly, quarterly, annually
- Directly supervises the Medical Education team which includes Surgeon Education and Sales Education teams.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of computer applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows, Internet applications, etc.) required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with surgeons
- Ability to organize and prioritize workflow to meet established timeframes
- Ability to work within a cross-functional team and matrix management structure
- Strong attention to details
- Ability to represent the company at a variety of business functions or situations in a professional and competent manner
- Ability to exercise independent judgment consistent with department guidelines
- Ability to learn and maintain knowledge of procedures, products and activities
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and/or weekends, or to travel
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completed BS/BA degree or equivalent, master's degree preferred. 7-10 years progressive experience in medical device industry. Experience managing surgeon and/or sales education. Experience managing a team. Prior sales or clinical specialist experience for a medical device manufacturer in the spinal fusion or orthopedic environment preferred. Clinical experience in adult and pediatric OR environments preferred.
We are more than a medical technology company. We are a solution-minded, problem-solving organization committed to providing outstanding patient outcomes. ATEC is committed to delivering safe, effective, and innovative products that exceed expectations though our commitment to continuous process improvement and quality excellence. We accomplish this goal by working closely with clinical experts to design and develop systems to effectively and efficiently drive the future of spine surgery. Our innovative platforms focus on simplifying procedures for the surgeon with the ultimate objective of improving clinical outcomes. Our growth is predicated on our ability to innovate and continually develop technologies that will have a significant impact on patient care.
OUR BENEFITS INCLUDE
- 401k Deferral and Match from Day One
- Student Loan Repayment
- Annual Fitness Reimbursement
- Discounted Healthcare Premiums for Wellness Program Completion
Posting ID: 567172312Posted: 2020-08-09