Purpose of Job
Provides risk management support for a line of business or staff agency in key risk identification, measurement and aggregation, and the understanding and management of risk through appropriate practices and processes. Assesses and mitigates enterprise and business exposures through the identification of key and emerging risks and evaluates alignment with risk strategy and appetite. Monitors the risk and control environment to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels and may consult on risk mitigation plans. Leads and executes complex initiatives and cross functional teams within the Chief Risk Office and across the Enterprise that drive problem resolution. Leverages broad enterprise knowledge and/or expert knowledge of core business discipline(s), products and processes.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers - World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
ABOUT USAA RISK Management
USAA is a growing financial services company and the Risk Management function at USAA is an important part of this growth. It is an exciting time at USAA and in our Risk Management organization. We are a diversified team of Risk professionals, working across all lines of business across USAA operations (banking, insurance, investments) seeing the incredible growth first-hand. Working at USAA in Risk Management affords you the ability to be a part of USAA's noble mission on a daily basis. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
- Identifies and seeks key stakeholders across the enterprise to support the identification, assessment, aggregation and the overall management of risks and controls.
- Presents findings and recommendations to various levels of leadership.
- Routinely communicates results of risk assessments to governance committees, business process owners and various levels of leadership and influences decision making.
- Develops process and procedures for successful implementation of new risk policies, practices, appetites and solutions to ensure holistic understanding and management of risks according to industry best practice.
- Develops strategies, tools, and methodologies to measure, monitor, and report risks.
- Applies expert knowledge to utilize or produce analytical material for discussions with cross functional teams to understand business objectives and influence solution strategies.
- Leads, assembles and facilitates cross-functional teams to identify, assess, aggregate and mitigate current and emerging risk events.
- Serves as the point of contact for senior risk leadership on projects and special management requests that often impact the enterprise or core operating area.
- Formulates and reviews stress test plans for a line of business or the enterprise.
- Evaluates results, and frames contingency plans in partnership with key business stakeholders.
- Crafts key communications to be delivered to executives and board members.
- Bachelor's degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or a related field.
4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of risk management, regulatory or operations experience in a relevant functional area to include banking, insurance, financial services, audit, project management, public accounting or other related operational area. Or advanced degree/designation in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other discipline relevant to risk management and 6 years of work experience in a discipline relevant to risk management. Or PhD in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other discipline relevant to risk management and 4 years of work experience in a discipline relevant to risk management.
- Advanced risk management experience in a complex institution and/or highly matrixed environment related to banking, insurance and/or financial services.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict resolution management and ability to effectively challenge at all levels of management and influence business outcomes.
- Experience leading and directing work with both internal and external partners in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis tools and techniques and decision-making abilities, to include demonstrated ability to effectively make data-driven decisions.
- Proactively identifies potential concerns and follows-up to resolve issues.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel and PowerPoint.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- 1st and/or 2nd LOD experience in IT risk management within a large financial institution focused on assessing information systems and technology risks and controls, with a demonstrated background in applying risk & controls, security and technology principles
- Previous technical domain experience to include Architecture, DevOps, Security, Application Development and/or Infrastructure/IT Ops, etc.
- Possess related industry certifications, such as CISA, CISSP, ITIL, CIA, CRISC, CGEIT, CRMA or other Technical Certifications or Industry Training Certificates
- Experience working with Risk, Security or Audit frameworks (FFIEC, COBIT, COSO, ISO 27001/2, NIST 800-53, SSAE16)
- Experience evaluating IT Architecture design for infrastructure, virtualization, cloud technology and business technology architecture for financial institutions, evaluating software development life cycle processes, agile execution utilizing scrum partners, evaluating middleware technologies (e.g., Websphere) and infrastructure platforms (e.g., delivery infrastructure, application programming interface (API)), native mobile and cloud platforms (e.g, Salesforce), and/or monitoring and deploying software solutions for large financial and insurance institutions
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 5/14/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.