Current job opportunities are posted here as they become available.
Subscribe to our RSS feeds to receive instant updates as new positions become available.
HIAS Venezuela seeks a Finance Director to oversee day-to-day effective and efficient management and strategy of all financial activities and operations of the HIAS Venezuela office. S/he will ensure maintenance and high standards of accounting records, internal controls in accordance with International Accounting Standards, administration standards, Venezuela laws and regulations, and executes established financial policies and procedures.
The Finance Director directs all accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, payroll, bank reconciliations, audit, insurance, local tax reporting, and fixed assets at the Country level. S/he also ensures accurate and timely preparation of internal financial reports and submission for external reporting. The Finance Director will report directly into the Venezuela Country Director with a dotted line into the Controller in HQ. S/he also works closely with HQ Finance and Grants Compliance management team. S/he will oversee the finance and budgeting team in in Venezuela. This position will be located in Silver Spring Maryland and will require frequent travel to Venezuela and internationally as required.
Financial Statements and External Reporting
- Oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Ensures timely and accurate monthly close of General Ledger.
- Compiles cash flow forecast and forward monthly cash request to HQ on a timely basis.
- Ensures that financial reports for all donors, local compliance and HQ are reviewed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitors country and field office cash flow to ensure there is adequate cash to fund operations.
Internal Controls and Compliance:
- Ensures compliance with all HIAS policies and procedures as outlined in policy manuals and in accordance with local statutory requirements.
- Oversees all financial audits of the operations in Venezuela.
- Reviews payroll, payroll control sheets, and allocations.
- Ensures that financial transactions are coded correctly.
- Ensures compliance with sanctions regulations.
- Ensures compliance with exchange operations.
Budgets and Budgetary Controls:
- Works with the Country Director and program team in the preparation of country office budgets, program budgets and proposals.
- Review project budgets and monitor project expenditure in line with budget by maintaining a budget tracking/reporting system (pipeline report).
- Provide management & program staff with monthly reports and analysis as needed to help them manage the project.
- Ensures controls of expenses assigned to grants and work directly with program managers and country director to manage actual expenses.
Audit and Governance:
- Leads on all audits/verifications.
- Coordinates the preparation of the office financial year end procedure, year-end schedules and prepare audit schedules for all the balance sheet accounts including vacation, severance, prepayments, and accruals.
- Manage and supervise all compliance related matters including the development and monitoring of Corrective Action Plans.
- Prepare the management response and corrective action plan for any management letter findings resulting from the annual audit.
Management and Capacity Building:
- Leads and overall oversight of the Finance Department and provides consistent leadership to department personnel through regular meetings, effective objective setting, delegation, and communication.
- Liaise with HR to ensure all finance related HR matters (e.g. calculation of benefits, and any other discretionary payments) are accurately recorded and processed in accordance with local laws and HIAS and the client's requirements.
- Ensure all legal requirements/information (e.g. labour, taxation) are submitted to the Venezuelan labor institutions.
- Conducts regular training to HIAS Venezuela employees on finical policies and procedures and best practices.
- Conducts meetings to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures.
- Communicates fiscal policies and procedures to all HIAS employees.
- Leads and participates in special projects that further the goals of the Accounting and Finance Department.
- Stays abreast of trends and changes in the accounting field and capacity builds department on such.
- Monitors the financial system to look for exchange operations alternatives.
- Leads and participates in opening bank accounts overseas.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality regarding discussions and decisions made by Senior Management and takes all required actions to ensure that staff adhere to these requirements.
Qualification and Experience:
- Graduate degree or other post-graduate qualification in finance or accounting (will consider experience in lieu of Master's degree).
- Knowledge of donor funding rules and regulations, financial reporting and disclosure requirements.
- At least 10 years' work experience in an Accounting or Finance position with accounting and budgeting responsibilities and at least three (3) to four (4) years in a INGO or similar field.
- At least three 5 years of demonstrated experience in supervisory/management role, managing, mentoring, and building capacity of direct reports.
- Knowledgeable of Venezuela laws, regulations and context (Mandatory).
- Excellent computer skills in all Microsoft office suite products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities; capability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, take initiative, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- Fluency in both written and spoken Spanish and English is highly desirable; strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience upholding the highest ethical standards in previous roles required.
- Ability to travel throughout Venezuela to HIAS office locations and at times to insecure operating environments.
Posting ID: 564753641Posted: 2020-08-09