Under the direction of the property manager, essential job responsibilities are to carry out technical and general maintenance tasks on building machinery and systems and provide rapid and professional response to tenants and management for assigned properties.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist on calls and service requests for repairs in tenant spaces and building systems as required and/or assigned.
- Respond to and perform special requests as designated from the property management.
- Must have detailed knowledge to perform Preventive Maintenance (PM) on all mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems utilizing manufacturer recommendations in accordance with company standards for Preventive Maintenance. The PM’s once completed on all equipment will be logged in accordance with building standard operating procedures.
- Keep all mechanical equipment, mechanical and electrical areas clean, organized and in working order in accordance with company standards and the appropriate codes and regulations.
- Interact and cooperate effectively with tenants, customers, contracted services personnel, management and building staff using correct communication skills and following the proper communication channels as defined by management.
- Assist in maintaining up-to-date files of building plans, equipment specifications, and all maintenance logs as required by Owner, Company, Local, State and National regulations. This will include items listed on item four (4) above.
- Maintain an up to date inventory of needed and required spare parts and tools.
- Respond to building emergencies as needed and as directed in accordance with the building Life Safety Program.
- Order supplies and parts for delivery and/or pick up as approved and directed by supervisor.
- Respond to and provide after hour on call services as required and/or assigned.
- Perform any and all duties and tasks that may be assigned including assignment to other properties.
- Must be able to work overtime when necessary.
- Work collaboratively with department engineers and apprentices including training where needed. Supervise any outside vendors or subcontractors.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty, listed above, in accordance with standards set up by Company for this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for the position of Building Technician.
- Education and/or Experience:
- Building Technician should have a High school diploma or equivalent. Technician will have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience with commercial building operating systems and general building maintenance procedures.
o The Building Technician will have the ability to read and comprehend basic instructions, short correspondence, and memos, with the ability to write simple correspondence and will also have the ability to explain in basic format operational and mechanical issues. Have the ability to effectively communicate and present information in one-on-one and/or small group situations with customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
o Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form. The Building Technician shall have the ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations, to solve problems and critical issues with minimal senior engineering and/or management input.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
o The Building Technician must have a valid local state driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Other Skills and Abilities:
o The Building Technician must have excellent skills in operating hand and power tools, power lifts, scaffolding, ladders, and be able to read digital meters and voltage testers. Also must have the ability to troubleshoot all basic building systems including electric, pneumatic controls and have a working knowledge and understanding of blueprints and schematics.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Walking and standing for long periods of time are regularly required when performing duties. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; climb; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in a confined space. The employee must regularly lift up to 25 pounds and frequently move up to 100 pounds, while adhering to safe practices including safety courses. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus; therefore the applicants must have 20/20 vision or wear glasses/contacts that bring their vision to 20/20.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The employee may work in high and precarious places and may be frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions and occasionally could be exposed to toxic and/or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is could be loud.
Safety: This position must comply with and have the ability to understand and implement all safety measures as prescribed by Company and all other safety related courses provided. Employee must participate in all safety training and pass the appropriate certification requirements as required by Company, if applicable
Commonwealth Commercial Partners, LLC is a Virginia based premier commercial real estate firm providing a complete range of transaction, management and consulting services since 1996. Our unique methodologies and strategies help us consistently meet and exceed our client’s expectations and objectives. Commonwealth Commercial Partners, LLC has offices in Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida.