Description About this role
The Opportunistic Credit Team at BlackRock manages ~$4 billion of capital within the Alternatives division at BlackRock, with the team split between the New York and London offices. With funds dedicated toward both public (hedge fund / secondary) and private (illiquid / private) opportunities, we seek to achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns in the mid- to high-teens range, via a flexible mandate to deploy capital into investments spanning a wide range of industries, geographies, and stages of company life. Transactions can include special situations investments, senior secured loans, subordinated debt, mezzanine loans, asset / project financing, convertible debt, preferred equity, equity warrants, or any combination of the above. The team leverages its industry expertise, proprietary networks of the investment professionals, and the larger BlackRock platform to source unique and differentiated investment opportunities.
The Opportunistic Credit team is hiring an associate to join the team in New York. This person will be responsible for assisting in the underwriting of credit investments in both the primary and secondary markets, primarily in a private context, but with some time allocated towards with working members of our public credit team. This person will be an integral part of a small team of highly qualified investment professionals and involved in all aspects of the investment process. Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain detailed financial models
- Collaborate on due diligence, development of investment theses, and creation of investment memoranda to present to portfolio managers and the Investment Committee
- Assist in the review and coordination of drafting of credit and other investment documents
- Actively monitor portfolio investments and industry dynamics
- Flexibility to look at proprietary (private) origination as well as secondary trading (public market) opportunities
- Development of long-term, well researched theses on credits or sectors through stand-alone independent research regardless of market consensus
- Strong academic background and ideally 2 to 3+ years of corporate finance experience in principal investing, investment banking, or restructuring advisory
- Self-motivated with ability to operate with modest oversight on small deal teams (2-3 professionals)
- Strong analytical ability & intellectual curiosity around the investment process, spanning a wide range of industries
- Candidate must be comfortable participating and presenting in internal discussions, Investment Committee meetings, diligence meetings with senior management teams, and discussions with industry sources, sell-side analysts, and other professionals
- Candidate must be able to work in collegial, team-oriented environment
- Experience with leveraged finance, credit underwriting, distressed investing or bankruptcy will be viewed positively
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.