Veterinarian led and owned for three decades, everyone at MedVet strives daily to enhance the lives of pets, their loving families, and the veterinary community. Through this relentless commitment and dedication, MedVet is growing a network of emergency and specialty hospitals for pets, with facilities across the Midwest, Gulf Coast, Texas, and Mountain regions to deliver exceptional care and preserve the integrity of the profession. Our team consists of nearly 2000 team members helping to advance our mission of Leading Specialty Healthcare for Pets. Through this effort, we have been able to help and serve nearly 200,000 pets and their families, and more than 5,400 Referral Partners each year.
The Medical Director (MD) provides hospital leadership in dyad partnership framework with the Hospital Director (HD) to lead the Healthcare Team. The MD, who reports to a Regional Medical Director, is the local leader of Medical Services that oversees all specialty and emergency doctors. The MD promotes a culture that supports development of engaged and empowered employees, who deliver the MedVet Experience in a healthy and sustainable manner while living MedVet's core values of Teamwork, Leadership and Compassion.
Successful dyad leadership provides representation of all employees, fosters diversity of thought, and leverages the variable experience and skill of our Medical Services and Clinical Services Teams. The MD directly supports doctors and the Health Care team directly, at each hospital and works collaboratively with each level of the MedVet organization to improve and sustain MedVet's focus on evaluating, planning, and implementing the delivery of best in class healthcare to MedVet patients in support of our mission - Leading Specialty Healthcare for Pets.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Foster a Culture that supports development of Engaged and Empowered Employees as well as continuous improvement
- In partnership with the Hospital Director, serves as an overall leader for the hospital, directing both Emergency and Specialty services (Dyad Leadership).
- Lead and direct the Medical Services teams in the hospital, including doctor hiring, doctor onboarding, doctor development, and management of doctor performance issues, partnering with Clinical Services, HR, or other teams as needed. Continually evaluate hiring needs and opportunities for growth of the practice, working in partnership with the Medical Recruiting team.
- Responsible for managing overall department workflows, ensuring that patient care is delivered in an efficient, safe, and compassionate manner.
- Responsible for doctor scheduling, department meetings, and other doctor-facing communications.
- Leads implementation for medical services initiatives within the hospital.
- Works with the Hospital Director to ensure the Clinical Services team has the resources and tools to deliver high-quality patient, client, and referral partner experience. This includes working with hospital director to ensure appropriate staffing as well as working with Operations & IT to ensure supplies, equipment, and technical tools are available and functioning.
- Works with the Hospital Director to manage overall hospital financial results, including inventory/supplies and other expenses.
- Work with Specialty and ER departments to develop and maintain systems for communication and handling of patients between departments, including transfers, after hour exams, and transport among hospitals.
- Assist in ensuring the practice complies with the State Veterinary Medical Practice Act, OSHA and AAHA standards.
- Work collaboratively with the HD, Regional Medical Director (RMD), VP of Clinical services and Finance to Prepare and Manage Hospital Budget and Capital Budget:
- Includes revenue budget, expense budget, profit and loss statements, and management of payroll to revenue
- Encourage participation of all depts. (doctors and clinical managers) in capital budget process
- Work with the RMD to Lead Operational Planning efforts and execution for the hospital on an annual basis.
- Participate in hospital and regional Results Management Meetings
- Ensure Referral Partner relationships are strong and growing by fostering a culture supportive of Referral Partner outreach and CE activities. Ensures that doctors are doing the appropriate referral partner outreach, and coaches them on how to effectively build referral partner relationships so that they can grow their practice.
- Oversee patient care issues, referral partner concerns, and responses to client complaints, personally handling escalated client and referral partner issues. Interacts with regulatory boards as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To become a medical director, individual should:
- Be a board-certified veterinary specialist or an experienced ER doctor; however, general practice veterinarians with appropriate leadership and management experience may be considered.
- Have at least five years of experience as a veterinarian, preferably in ER/specialty settings.
- Have the capability to effectively manage conflict in highly emotional situations with grace and maturity.
- Have experience as a department head/rep or similar leadership role.
MedVet offers a competitive compensation and full benefits package, including paid time off, health insurance, dental, vision, uniform allowance and 401K.
Come as you are. MedVet is an equal opportunity employer. We are also a drug-free organization; therefore, employment with MedVet is dependent upon the passing of a drug screen and background check.
MedVet does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters.
You have been redirected to a MedVet job page