Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA's pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA's largest engineering solutions provider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of every human spaceflight program - the International Space Station (ISS), NASA's Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon's surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind's understanding of the origins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of our team!
We are currently in need of a Mechanical Design Engineer to Support Low Earth Orbit Activities and Lunar Exploration for NASA
to join our team. Do you have the following skills?
The Mechanical Design Engineer to Support Low Earth Orbit Activities and Lunar Exploration for NASA
Qualifications :Requisition Qualifications: This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Support NASA's future lunar exploration activities.
- Work in a team environment to analyze requirements from the customer and develop design solutions.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Produce engineering drawings conforming to ASME 14.5, JPR 8500, and other applicable standards.
- Perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects.
- Perform functional analyses, when applicable, and sizing structural analyses.
- Support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function and structural strength.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required design documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school.
- Experience designing and analyzing mechanisms.
- Experience in all phases of the engineering design process (including concept brainstorming, requirements definition,
prototyping, detailed design, analysis, manufacturing, assembly, and validation).
- Must have the ability to produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis
including thermal effects and to support design with finite element analysis (FEA) standard hand calculations for fit,
function, and structural strength.
- Must have experience using solid modeling CAD software, specifically PTC CREO or Pro/E.
- Familiarity with basic design for manufacturing principles.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software
- Must have working knowledge of machine shop and 3D printing processes.
Why Work for Jacobs?
- Familiarization with JSC Engineering Drawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
- Familiarization with JSC Fabrication Tolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience designing hardware and creating drawings for NASA/JSC.
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We look forward to seeing you!
See What We Do
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center, please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
Essential FunctionsWork Environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task. Physical Requirements
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time). Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.). Attendance
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required. Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.