The Evergreen Cooperatives are a network of employee-owned companies dedicated to transforming lives and neighborhoods by, expanding wealth building opportunities for low to moderate income residents with high barriers to employment. A career with us is more than a job and a pay check, it is an ownership stake and a profit sharing opportunity.
An equal opportunity employer, our benefits include:
- 97% of positions are full time
- Living-wage starting pay, commensurate with experience
- Health insurance options
- Paid time off
All employees with more than one year on the job, have access to worker-ownership which includes:
- Vision and dental insurance
- Accidental death and disability insurance
Green City Growers produces tasty, nutrient-rich, pesticide-free produce year-round. Capitalizing on our custom built, state-of-the art greenhouse, we produce millions of heads of lettuce and specialty greens and hundreds of thousands of pounds of herbs and micro-greens every year. We are proud to be ranked as the largest food-production greenhouse in a core urban area in the United States. Green City Growers is part of the Evergreen Cooperative Corporation, a family of firms that works to build a stronger Cleveland economy by sharing its profits with its employees.
The General Manager is an integral member of the team that plays a vital role in ensuring the success of the overall output of production in the facility. In this role, the GM must have strong communication, leadership, organizational and time management skills. This position is responsible for the company's business planning, financial management and the overall management of the food processing facility. They work with all levels of the facility staff in all matters relating to productivity, customer service and safety. They are supported by an already existing management and office team, and the leadership of the Evergreen Cooperatives.
Business Planning and Financial Management
- Work with Evergreen Cooperative's leadership to create business strategy and annual budget
- Ensure the effective operations of the company's financial systems
- Work with Evergreen Cooperative's leadership and administrative staff to create and maintain a system of organizational metrics
- Responsible for the effective and successful management of labor, productivity, quality control and safety measures.
- Serve as primary point of contact when there are customer issues related to equipment quality, customer service, or accidents and mishaps on-site. In particular, this includes any issues on-site at client facilities.
- Responsibilities may include interviewing, selection and hiring; training new and existing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; authoring and discussing with employee's performance appraisals; addressing employee performance and corrective action plans; employee motivation and rewards
- Meet or exceed operations labor budget expectations.
- Lead all Operations, Customer Support, and delivery programs.
Safety and Regulatory Compliance
- Build motivation amongst team members to achieve company financial targets.
- Communicate customer issues with operations team and devise ways of improving the customer experience, including resolving problems and complaints.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Monitor and ensure all regulatory compliance requirements impacting operations.
- Maintain a predictive and preventative maintenance program.
- Carry out managerial responsibilities in accordance with company's policies, food safety and applicable laws.
Interaction with Company
- Practice Open Book Management
- Recruit and build a high performing operations team, while consistently reinforcing teamwork amongst team members.
- Maintain a harassment free environment with good employee morale by demonstrating good employee relations practices and utilizing HR consultation when needed.
- Build positive relationships with senior leadership, co-workers, employees, customers and vendors.
- Work closely with the Director of Operations and management team to set and/or implement policies, procedures and systems and to follow through with implementation.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer.
- Excellent business acumen, strategic planning, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to manage P&L financial statements
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, suppliers, and employees
- Proven knowledge, experience and a history of success in operational management
- Professional written and verbal communication skills and presentation
- Food service and/or farm experience, is a plus
- Familiarity with and connections to local/regional food scene, is a plus
- A commitment to Evergreen's mission is required
- 10+ years management experience at an Operations/Plant Manager level or higher
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Physical Work Demands
Mental Work Demands
- Able to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist and reach daily for long periods
- Able to walk and stand for an extensive amount of hours
- Able to lift to 40 pounds occasionally
- Regular and on-time attendance.
- Variable work hours - (Hours occasionally exceed 40 hours per week)
- Works well with others
Licenses or Designations:
Monthly health benefit subsidy, vision, dental, long term disability, auto/cell phone allowance, holiday and other paid time off, and a performance bonus.
The Evergreen Cooperatives create jobs and wealth. Evergreen's employee-owned, for-profit companies create meaningful, local green jobs in the Greater University Circle neighborhoods. Evergreen's staff earns a living wage and builds equity as owners of the businesses.