Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Deputy Chief Engineer supports the Chief Engineer in assuring the state of good repair of all Agency assets. This responsibility includes the day to day management of the services of the Port Authority Engineering Department which includes six Divisions; Design, Construction, Quality Assurance, Asset Management, Project Delivery and Engineering Operations. The Engineering Department consists of over 500 Engineering, Architectural, Technical and Administrative staff and consultant support staff.
The following individuals report directly to the Deputy Chief Engineer:
- The Chief of Design who is responsible for all Engineering Department Design services in support of the Agency's Capital and Operating Programs. This includes planning; conceptual design; design development; final design; and post award construction services.
- The Chief of Construction who is responsible for directing and managing all Engineering Department managed construction projects and includes construction planning, constructability analysis, development of means and methods, construction scheduling, contract administration, construction inspection and management with a focus on quality and schedule and budget conformance, construction closeout and oversight of the Materials Engineering Unit.
- The Assistant Chief Engineer for Quality Assurance who manages three Units: The Structural Integrity Unit which performs Condition Surveys to report on the condition of all bridges, buildings and all other Agency structures including repair recommendations. The Construction Standards Unit-Performs construction audits and acceptance inspections of Port Authority and tenant construction projects with special emphasis on structural integrity and life safety systems. The Design Standards Unit performs building department functions which include the review and approval of construction documents for tenant construction projects and the audit of Port Authority designs for compliance with applicable codes and Agency technical standards.
- The Chief of Operations who is responsible for Department support functions such as Financial Services; Estimating and Value Engineering, Virtual Design and Construction, Alternate Project Delivery and business strategies and innovations.
- The Chief of Engineering Program Delivery who serves as the primary Engineering Department client services representative with each Line Department and is also the point of contact for project initiation, schedule and budget performance, and overall project delivery. In addition, this Division is responsible for the management of the State-of-Good-Repair project prioritization process.
- The Assistant Chief Engineer for Enterprise Asset Management is responsible for the implementation and oversight of the Maximo Asset Management system which includes tracking and asset management of the Agencies over 600,000 assets. Included in this responsibility is the management of assets through their life cycle and providing state of good repair input for the capital and operating programs.
Candidates must have the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Licensed to practice Engineering in NY or NJ (must be able to obtain licensure in both States within six -months of selection)
- A minimum of 15 or more years of experience in the design, construction management, or project management of transportation facilities.
- Demonstrated history of delivering complex transportation projects and the management of a staff of at least 30 Engineers and Architects.
- Demonstrated leadership ability creating a collaborative, motivated, and responsive environment which has a focus of on-time and on budget performance while assuring quality.
- Superior oral and written communication skills. Experience in public speaking and performing technical presentations to large groups.
- Demonstrated success in problem solving, decision-making and conflict resolution.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Don't see what you're looking for? Join our talent network so we can keep in touch with you!
4 World Trade Center
150 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
The Port Authority of NY & NJ is an E-Verify employer.
Click here to learn more.