Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the State Hospital System (SHS) may be just the place for you! The SHS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The SHS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan. Apply now to join our team. **
Graduation from an accredited Registered Nursing program and licensed by the Texas Board of Nursing or be eligible for licensure in the State of Texas. Functions under the direct supervision of the Asst. Chief Nurse Executive for Operations and is responsible for the overall functioning Supervisor's Office and Admission office during the assigned shift. Work involves determining daily unit staffing needs. Supervises the work of others. Possesses a unique knowledge regarding the patient population to be served. Coordinated scheduling within assigned areas. Provides primary proactive management for service area during assigned shift with a supportive but clear supervisory manner. Supervised, counsel, and evaluates other nursing staff as necessary. Collaborates with charge nurses, shift supervisor, and subordinate staff to ensure 24-hour continuity of care. Is flexible in work schedule. Understands that duties, location of work and shift/pattern or subject to change as determined by the administration to meet the needs of the hospital. This includes responsibility to work weekends and extra shifts as needed. Works under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement. Maintains a therapeutic milieu.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Acts as Nursing Shift Coordinator. (60%)
2. Employee actively participates and/or serves in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. (5%)
3. Ensures patient safety and care during medical or behavioral emergencies. (5%)
4. Is accountable for maintaining and improving own knowledge and skills. (5%)
5. Patient, staff and visitors are treated with respect and dignity. (5%)
6. Performs patient biopsychosocial assessment. (5%)
7. Promotes patients, family and visitors wellbeing and safety. (5%)
8. Supports BSSH Infection Control Program. (5%)
9. Supports and facilitates the effective management of the hospital. (5%)
10. Maintains confidentiality of the hospital's patient health information. (5%)
•As a Treatment Team Nurse, it is essential to develop and maintain a good rapport with all members of the treatment team. (5%)
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Nurse practice act
2. ANA Code of Ethics
3. Basic knowledge of mental health treatment modalities and philosophies
1. Basic skill to render professional, comprehensive, and individualized nursing care for a group of patients.
1. Effectively utilizes the nursing process to deliver quality care.
2. Make management decisions and delegate/assign care
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
1. Must be registered as a Registered Nurse by the State of Texas or have a current temporary Texas RN license or provide proof of application for a Texas RN license or be eligible for licensure in the state of Texas
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Must be registered as a registered nurse by the State of Texas or a state that recognizes reciprocity through the Nurse Licensure Compact.
All new hire candidates will be required to receive COVID-19 medical screening (nasal test) as part of the due diligence process.
Flexibility in work hours may be required for this position. The position may be required to work overtime and/or extended hours.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
Salary Note: The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
Compliance with HHSC immunization policy and state hospital operating procedures related to immunizations is required. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Working for the State of Texas offers attractive benefits in addition to the salary. As a state employee you will receive Health and dental insurance, retirement plans and Employee Discounts at a variety of places. Employment may also qualify you for the student loan forgiveness program.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include: 68C, 66N/P/W, 290X, 46FX, 46NX, 46SX. For more information, see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.
Posting ID: 575796647Posted: 2020-09-24