The mission of VCCHC is to provide exceptional health care services to our patients in our service area throughout their lives. We envision a day when affordable health care is available to all.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The CMO will report to, and work closely with, the CEO. He/she will also partner with other senior leaders and the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization, including policies and plans to meet VCCHC's short- and long-term objectives.
He/she must be energetic with excellent leadership, and communication skills who is prepared to lead by example. He/she must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment of a mid-size FQHC, be operations-savvy, and thrive in an autonomous and fast-moving workplace.
The Chief Medical Officer is responsible for providing both administrative oversight and primary care in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). Provides both oversight for the FQHC, and primary care for uninsured and underinsured patients with diverse medical conditions. In coordination with VCCHC's Executive Team, responsible and accountable for all clinical, administrative, and performance improvement activities in the Clinic.
Administrative responsibilities include:
• The development and implementation of systems and processes that ensure the highest quality of care, patient safety, and evidence-based medicine standards.
• Serves as the clinical strategist for VCCHC's Executive Team and representative of the medical profession to senior executives, the board of directors and community at large.
• Overseeing, directing and supporting the rendering of medical management decisions that maximize benefits for patients while pursuing and supporting corporate objectives Fully participates in all HRSA and OSV readiness activities and audits.
• CMO will participate in the Medical Advisory Committee of Board of Directors
• The CMO works in conjunction with the CCO and with various clinicians to discuss actual, potential, and alleged risk management cases and potential system improvements to improve care at all medical sites.
• Regularly reviews and revises medical care policies and protocols as standards of care are revised and/or as directed by licensing, funding and program organizations.
• Ensures the development and maintenance of statistical data related to patient care and patient outcomes, to continually improve medical practices.
• Conducts regular chart reviews and audits on a spot-check basis in addition to, and as part of, ongoing Quality Assurance programs.
• Initiates and monitors a referral utilization review process.
• Manages - by providing leadership and specific direction - all patient care professionals. Sets the standards of professional performance for medical and clinical support staff.
• Meeting with staff providers on an on-going, regular basis to discuss clinical concerns and opportunities for care improvement.
• Providing as-needed consultation support to staff providers on issues relating to health care delivery.
• Implements Quality Assurance, Quality Improvement programs, measures, and monitoring, including performance reviews for medical staff, and a system of peer review. The CMO will report all QI/QAI efforts, identified issues, and tasks as indicated in the QI/QA plan, directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Quality Assurance Committee of the Board of Directors, and relevant operational quality committees as applicable
• Examines existing medical care standards, protocols, and practices; revises and enhances; puts in place benchmarks to ensure that patients are receiving the highest quality of care possible.
• Develop, maintain and expand collaborations with multiple community agencies to support program development.
• Develop a work plan for expanded special programs at all VCCHC clinics.
Components include fiscal, quality, efficiency, network, and patient satisfaction.
• Perform patient assessment, physical examinations, order/perform necessary laboratory and diagnostic tests, proficiency testing, prescribe and dispense medications in compliance with VCCHC established medical protocols.
• Strictly adhere to universal precautions as established by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Occupational Safety and Health Administration
• Participate in monthly peer review/chart audit programs.
• Complete documentation of client/patient findings and recommendations at the end of each visit according to established protocols; complete other required forms relating to patient's visit.
• Maintain awareness of current clinical treatment and information in the assigned area.
• Manage client prescription refills on the assigned day.
• Participate in staff/student practitioner training and inform support staff of clinical practice updates.
• Ensures positive interaction with patients, visitors, and staff.
• Works with other members of the VCCHC management team to implement new clinic operating processes and systems (including EMR) to enhance patient flow, improve clinic administration and facilitate operating excellence.
• Ensures the efficient functioning of all clinic sites, and coordination of medical and administrative personnel, schedules, policies, and processes.
• Develops, maintains and monitors medical budgets.
• Maintains credentialing procedures and follow-up for all medical personnel;
delineates clinical privileges.
• Review patient grievances; recommends and implements measures to address.
• Provides oversight of vaccine programs; obtains vaccines from, and submits monthly audits to, the County Health Department.
• Prepares clinics for audits from various agencies and health plans.
• Ensures adherence by medical staff to VCCHC policies as they relate to behavior, attendance, schedules, and dress code.
• Valid license in the state of California with no pending or previous disciplinary action from any state licensing entity; must be board certified in a specialty.
• Current DEA license and CPR certificate.
• A minimum of five years' health care management experience required.
• Knowledge of state-of-the-art medical scientific and treatment methods in the area of specialty, awareness of current medical, educational and psychosocial intervention procedures.
• Experience launching medical programs and dealing with program audits.
• Solid, proven managerial and administrative skills and expertise, preferably in environments featuring ethnically and socially diverse staff and clients, and characterized by time pressure and less-than-optimal staffing levels.
• Creative skill, ability, resourcefulness and judgment in the analysis and solution of medical, managerial and administrative problems.
• Experience working with information technology staff to implement and manage sophisticated practice management and/or electronic health software packages
• Ability -To perform clinical responsibilities within the organization's established guidelines in an organized, efficient manner;
• Ability to relate and communicate well to all cultural and ethnic groups in the community;
• Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
• Ability to support the goals of the organization;
• Ability to be flexible with work schedules and sites;
• Experience and knowledge of multi-ethnic and community-based clinic environments.
• Must have a reliable automobile for use on the job ;
• Subject to a criminal background check before employment;
o Must have and maintain State required automobile insurance coverage; and
• TB clearance, to be renewed every year. Annual Influenza PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following lists physical demands an employee will perform regularly: sitting, viewing a computer monitor, typing/keyboarding, reading, handwriting, talking and hearing, walking, standing, talking on the phone.