Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Deputy Director within the Security Organization (SO). You will collaborate with the Director of Security and the senior management team to provide leadership and direction to the SO, ensuring uninterrupted protection of Laboratory assets from a broad range of physical and technical security threats that may cause unacceptable adverse impacts on national security or the health and safety of Laboratory employees, the public and/or the environment. You will develop and implement strategic operational activities to support Laboratory program missions and operational security needs. The SO is comprised of approximately 300 employees and an annual budget of approximately $80 million.
- Lead, manage and collaborate with senior management in identifying, interpreting and analyzing site-specific implementation and integration of protection planning which includes physical security, information security, personnel security, training, performance assurance, and/or nuclear material and accountability (MC&A).
- Manage the development and integration of business and operational policies and procedures to ensure operational efficiency, effectiveness and optimum protection strategy for diverse Institutional assets in compliance with federal and state regulations, LLNS performance criteria, DOE /NNSA Orders, and LLNL institutional requirements.
- Represent the SO and the Director of Security on institutional security matters and operational issues to senior Laboratory management, NNSA and DOE, Directors from NNSA nuclear facilities, and federal and local law enforcement agencies; as well as coordinate and collaborate with other federal and local law enforcement agencies to ensure effective cooperation and communication.
- Manage the development and implementation of budgets, schedules and performance standards of resources including approximately 300 personnel and an operating budget of about $80 million, utilizing cost-effective business practices and administrative systems consistent with LLNL, DOE/NNSA strategic objectives.
- Manage personnel and performance activities of SO and matrix personnel assigned within the respective areas, including career development.
- Serve as the Director of Security in the absence of the Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in a security or a related management field with substantial applicable work experience or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
-Significant experience leading a large multi-disciplinary team of employees contributing to the day to day operational preparedness, emergency management, strategic planning and directions of a highly visible security-related program and managing multimillion dollar program portfolios.
- Expert managerial and leadership skills with effective communication and interpersonal skills to direct, negotiate, influence, motivate and coordinate with all levels of management and staff internal and external to the organization. Ability to effectively serve as a spokesperson with senior Laboratory and Livermore Field Office.
- Extensive experience in the interpretation, analysis, implementation and integration of protection planning with physical security systems and performance based management.
- Extensive experience managing an operational organization in a highly regulated tactical/operational environment under highly prescriptive, demanding, multi-tasking conditions.
-Experience in personnel management including managing diverse personnel issues and employee development.
- Experience managing and executing a multi-million annual budget supporting a multi-disciplinary security-related operation and its personnel with advanced project management skills and a successful track record of completing critical and high-risk deliverables on time and within budget
- Experience solving unique and highly complex security problems with broad implications at the senior management level.
- Management experience in a military or para-military organization, government /private security agency.
- Working knowledge of LLNL personnel, business and financial management policies and practices.
- Broad knowledge of DOE / NNSA and LLNL safeguards & security regulations, and applicable state/federal laws.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2 .
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Avenue • Livermore, CA 94550
Operated by Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, for the
Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration.