Hematology Oncology Associates of CNY (HOACNY), voted one of Central New York’s Best Places to Work, is looking for a full time Certified Medical Assistant to join our professional team. HOACNY provides cancer care services, Monday through Friday, at three convenient locations in East Syracuse, Syracuse and Auburn. If you are a highly motivated, team oriented individual looking to make a difference in your career, please apply now.
Certified Medical Assistant- Float Position
Job Title: Medical Assistant Position Status: Non-Exempt
General Statement of Duties: Performs a variety of patient care duties to assist the Physicians and clinical staff.
Supervision Received: Reports directly to Lab Manager/ Director of Nursing
Supervision Exercised: None
Typical Physical Demands: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carried items weighing up to 100 lbs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours. Requires some exposure to communicable diseases of bodily fluids.
Typical Working Conditions: Potential exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionized radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinical environment.
Examples of Duties: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned)
10. Completes yearly competencies in all job duties which outline comprehensively specific job duties.
11. Notifies RN/NP/PA of complicated patients so an additional healthcare member can be present to facilitate patient management.
12. Assists physicians and nurses with minor diagnostic procedures i.e. EKG and oximetry as directed and bills appropriately.
13. Maintains OSHA requirements for exam rooms, assures rooms are clean and stocked before each use, empties linen at the end of day and restocks the linen supply as needed.
14. Maintains phlebotomy room and supplies to properly collect blood specimens.
15. Maintains ample phlebotomy coverage during breaks and lunches to efficiently keep patient lab flow moving.
16. Performs venipuncture, and capillary punctures on patients according to universal precautions protocol. Identifies and labels specimens per protocol.
17. Assists in care of patient prior to, during, and after phlebotomy.
18. Cleans and sterilizes work areas.
19. Inventories supplies and places orders.
20. Processes laboratory specimens for send-outs to reference laboratories. Prepares necessary paperwork to accompany the specimens.
21. Processes and accessions all work for the laboratory.
19. Performing billing and quality assurance duties to ensure all test ordered were performed and to notify appropriate medical staff if tests were missed.
20. Maintains patient confidentiality.
22. Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
23. Rotates to all offices as scheduled.
24. Orients and mentors as directed by clinical managers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles and skills needed to provide patient care and treatment. Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Skill in using various types of equipment for examination and treatment procedures. Skill in taking vital signs. Skill in maintaining relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to recognize problems and recommend solutions. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to interpret adapts and applies guidelines and procedures. Ability to communicate clearly.
Experience: Preferred Hospice/Office experience.
Certificate and licensure: Medical Assistant Certification. CPR certification required.
Alternate to minimum qualification: None
Hematology Oncology Associates of CNY is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. HOA is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.