First Student is now hiring Apprentice Diesel Technicians to maintain repair buses and drive school bus routes!
In an apprenticeship/training capacity, performs bus and subsystem maintenance and repair functions. Performs diagnosis, and repairs of bus systems, subsystems and assemblies requiring light, moderate, and advanced mechanical work. Apprentice techs are expected to meet quarterly milestones and will be evaluated on a quarterly basis to gauge progress and success of candidates. Apprentice program is to offer entry level students a pathway into a career in fleet maintenance.
- Apprentice technicians shall be CDL school bus trained to drive an AM & PM route and work in their respective assigned shops between runs and on non-school days for one calendar year.
- While working in the shop, apprentices will receive PM (preventive maintenance) inspector training along with a host of additional technical training while working close with tenured technicians and the location maintenance manager.
- The objective is to train and prepare students into First Student techs and provide an opportunity for them to take full time maintenance positions throughout the company.
Why pick First Student? Glad You Asked!
- Hourly wage at $19.35
- $500 bonus paid every quarter for achieving milestones
- $2,000 bonus paid for successfully completing the apprenticeship program
- One-year of apprentice training and working in a First Student maintenance facility
- Opportunities for Advancement Nationwide! Successful apprentice graduates with acceptable grading at end of program will have the option to accept a position at any First Student opening they qualify for throughout the company.
- Tool kit provided by First Student for use throughout the training program. Upon successful completion of the training program, students may keep their tool kits.
- Excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan.
- ASE training and testing materials provided
Apprentice Diesel Technician Responsibilities:
- Has a strong dedication to the apprenticeship program and desire to learn FGA procedures
- Meet quarterly FGA maintenance training milestones
- Drive a fixed bus route during School Days, AM & PM route
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies and procedures
- Moves vehicles safely between job and work area
- Performs Minor Repairs
- Removes/disassembles components and sub-components.
- Assists mechanics with assembly and installation of components and sub-components.
- Cleans vehicles as necessary
- Other responsibility as requested or required
Apprentice Diesel Technician Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED (preferred); local vocational or technical skills program for vehicle repair (preferred)
- Basic mechanical aptitude and 0-1 years of automotive or diesel repair experience (preferred) or equivalent education and experience
- Valid driver's license (must also have or be able to get a CDL license within 1 months of starting program)
- Adhere to standards set by state DOT for motor vehicle inspections and safety standards
- Basic problem-solving ability
- Comfortable using hand tools
- Communicate effectively & precisely
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Maintain an organized shop and clean work environment
- Basic computer skills
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Subject to a background check and drug screen
- Ability to participate in ASE testing program within program (expected to have 1 ASE brake certification within 12 month of program)
Now is the time to enhance your career...not just pursue another job. You do not want to miss out on this tremendous opportunity!
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
Posting ID: 607833566Posted: 2021-02-21