1:1 SpeEd Asst/ISE - 203/7 -- Chief Sealth Int'l High School - 1.0 | Welcome to Seattle Public Schools page has loaded.
1:1 SpeEd Asst/ISE - 203/7 -- Chief Sealth Int'l High School - 1.0
Overview of Position
1:1 Sped IA will support a 9th grade Female - Distinct
Phase II - OPEN ONLY TO DISPLACED CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEES. Please do not apply for this position. You will receive an email requesting a list of positions that you would like to select for the 2020-21 school year. You may submit your list to HR no later than Friday, June 26 (at least 3-5 recommended). Assignments will be made by HR in descending seniority order. Displaced employees may select positions in one of their verified job titles at the same pay level or below, regardless of FTE. FTE and/or length of work year increases will be considered. (Classified substitutes are not eligible to apply).
The job of Special Education Assistant/ISE-203 is done for the purpose/s of assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of special needs students in the regular classroom or in a self-contained classroom; assisting in implementing plans for instruction; monitoring student behavior during non-classroom time; providing information to appropriate school personnel; and attending IEP meetings.
Special Education Assistant job duties vary according to the school/program needs, i.e., generalist, severe/profound, behavior disorder, hearing impaired, autism, etc.
- Adapts, under the direction of the teacher. classroom activities, assignments and/or materials for the purpose of providing an opportunity for all special education students to participate in classroom activities.
- Administers a variety of materials and assignments (e.g. tests, homework, grades papers, folders, etc.) for the purpose of assisting teacher in evaluating students' progress and/or organizing the individual needs of the student.
- Administers first aid and medical assistance as required for the purpose of providing appropriate care for injured children.
- Assists students requiring support in addressing personal care needs due to medical condition and/or physical limitations for the purpose of allowing students to function in school environment.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations (e.g. first aid, CPR, emergency procedures, etc.) for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Confers with teacher/s (special education and/or mainstream teacher) on a regular basis for the purpose of assisting in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Confers with teachers and/or parents (e.g. phone calls, e-mails, parent-teacher meetings, recording student progress in a notebook, etc.) for the purpose of providing information related to the student's progress as established in their individual educational program.
- Directs and Implements behavioral plans for students with behavior disorders or other conditions for the purpose of assisting in meeting special education students needs, protecting the safety of the child and others, and providing a consistent environment.
- Instructs students in a variety of activities in individual and group settings (e.g. academic subjects, social skills, daily living skills, etc.) for the purpose of reinforcing instructional objectives, implement plans for remediation of students deficiencies in accordance with students individual educational program goals and ensuring students success in school.
- Maintains instructional materials and/or student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, checking papers, attendance, set up adapted projects, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and/or providing reliable information.
- Monitors students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments (e.g. rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of aiding students and providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Reports to building Principal if assigned through staffing formulas. If based centrally, reports to assigned Special Education Supervisor.Knowledge
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes:
- Instructional procedures and practices
- Age appropriate student activities
- Safety practices and procedures
- Conflict resolution
- Stages of child development/ behavior
- Required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Adhering to safety practices
- Operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records
- Required to gather and/or collate data; and use job-related equipment.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods.
- Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with similar types of data; and utilize job-related equipment.
- In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Problem solving with data may require independent interpretation; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate.
- Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Adapting to changing work priorities
- Communicating with diverse groups
- Maintaining confidentiality
- Working as part of a team
- Working with constant interruptions
- Ability to key-board; learn to use personal computers.
- May require the ability to do basic signing.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the Organization's services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: seldom lifting - up to 50 pounds*; carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. May need to handle medically fragile children, attend to students' physical needs, which may include toileting, changing diapers, tube feeding and assisting menstruating students; support structured learning and behavior shaping activities. Generally the job requires 45% sitting, 25% walking, and 30% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
*Seldom is up to 10% of the time during a 7-hour period, with or without assistance.
High school diploma or equivalent and at least one of the following:
(a) Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service paraeducator assessment as published by PESB; orYEARS of RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
(b) Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university; or
(c) Have earned seventy-two quarter credits or forty-eight semester credits at the one hundred level or higher at an accredited college or university; or
(d) Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.
None specified.PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
Experience working with children.CERTIFICATES & LICENSES:
Valid State of Washington Driver's LicenseCONTINUING EDUCATION/TRAINING:
Secure Training, CPR, First AidCLEARANCES:
Criminal Justice Fingerprint Background Clearance