Bakery Designer FLSA
Bakery Revision Date
: 05/2018General Function
As a Bakery Designer, this position will be responsible for decorating bakery items. You will assist customers with their bakery orders by the telephone and in person at the store. Additionally you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.Reporting Relations:
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director; Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Managers of Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Assistant Managers; Bakery Manager, Assistant Bakery Manager, Baker, Apprentice Baker
Direct Reports: NonePrimary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
• escorting them to the products they're looking for
• securing products that are out of reach
• loading or unloading heavy items
• loading or unloading heavy items
• performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking product orders
6. Takes customer orders at Bakery counter
7. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
8. Checks orders for the day and sets up a timeline and production schedule.
9. Decorates bakery items in a timely manner.
10. Keeps current on new designs and trends
11. Ensures department standards are met
12. Checks cake orders for details (size, deco pack, icing needs, dates) daily and indicates supply needs.
13. Orders supplies for decorating area and checks off the order
14. Delivers product and sets up wedding cakes on site (outside the store).
15. Communicates with bakery department manager regarding displays, weekly ads and special needs on a daily basis.
16. Checks product dates, pulls cases for work and lists items to fill or replace.
17. Develops bakery orders for bakers on a daily basis. (Orders cakes, sizes, etc.)
18. Tracks daily retail production.
19. Identifies, with co-workers, tasks to be completed
20. Operates as a lead worker with part-time or other employees. (Instructs and reviews work).
21. Participates in employee cross training.
22. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
23. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
24. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
25. Reports to work when scheduled and on timeSecondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Wraps all product as necessary.
2. Assists in other areas of the store as needed.
3. Performs other job related duties and special projects as requiredEducation and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience and six months or less of similar or related work experience.Physical Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force (shared team lifting) occasionally; exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches and more than 20 feet with or without correction, color vision, depth perception, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities. There is exposure to flour dust, noise, cleaning chemicals/solvents, residual fumes and temperature extreme.Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Standard tools and equipment used in a bakery environment including mixers, ovens, turntables, tips, bas, airbrush telephone copy cake machine, and occasional use of the intercom systemContacts:
Has daily contact with the general public taking orders. Has weekly contact with suppliers/vendors.