Here at Scotts Miracle-Gro there is no such thing as a typical day. Our culture is constantly energized by new and exciting growth opportunities and at a rapid pace. Every Associate plays an important role in providing innovative solutions for today's gardeners and growers and contributing new ideas to improve operations. In our company you need grit, it is what we were founded on over 150 years ago and is what keeps us growing. Regardless of your level in the organization there is a platform for your voice to be heard and the ability to influence change. Family, community and hard working values are weaved into all that we do. Come grow with us, where we develop and nurture the next generation of leaders.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG) is the world's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products, with a full range of products for professional horticulture as well. Scotts Miracle-Gro has helped to grow the nearly $7 billion global consumer lawn and garden market through product innovation, industry-leading advertising efforts and its trusted brands. Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free work place.
The Scientist (Entomology)
will work in support of a diverse insect control portfolio. This position directs the conduct of biological research focused on the control of insect and pests of the home, garden and lawn environments in support of EPA and state registrations, potential partnership or acquisitions, competitive analysis and cost-out initiatives. It is vital that the incumbent possess a working knowledge of experimental design and analysis, report writing, synthetic and natural insecticide modes-of-action, toxicology and formulations. A strong scientific curiosity, excellent communication skills, initiative and independence are also essential characteristics. The Scientist will develop strong partnerships with cross-functional experts in R&D, marketing, regulatory, sourcing, and manufacturing, to foster and drive innovation in the controls segment. A deep understanding of the consumer home & gardening landscape is key to success, and controls associates are expected to participate in our business segment, as a hands-on consumer, and a hands-on researcher, so that they may develop keen insights that contribute to the commercialization of novel home & gardening products. This position reports directly to the Controls Product Development Manager.Key Responsibilities:
- Directs the planning and implementation of field, insectary and greenhouse biological research trials, including trial initiation, data collection, data analysis, and report preparation
- Functions as part of a cross-functional team that identifies consumer insect control needs, and then finds or creates solutions to meet the needs.
- Helps to build business strategy by providing thought leadership on technology, research, agricultural trends and practices that can be applied to synthetic and natural consumer gardening control products.
- Builds and maintains network of external universities, researchers, and industry groups.
- Leads the assessment of 3rd party technologies, and communicate linkage of the technology to the business needs.
- Summarization of trial data to support and recommend product label claims; or in support of new EPA and state registrations.
- Practitioner of new product development and innovation including; internal and external collaboration, internal selling, research, ideation, concept development, and commercialization.
- Provides expertise in the area of synthetic pesticide evaluation.
- Detail orientated with ability to multitask in a dynamic environment where success depends on deep internal and external collaborations.
- Experience communicating scientific concepts to senior leadership (including Directors, GM's VP's, COO, CEO and Board Members); outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong ability to influence key stake holders through technical expertise and leadership skills.
- Exceptional relationship building / interpersonal skill and the ability to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
What we do for you (just to list a few cool ones):
- Ph.D. in Entomology with 1-3 years of industry or post-doctoral experience focused on insect control preferred.
- Ph.D. thesis (ABD) focused on the control of insect pests of homes, gardens and lawns also considered.
- M.S focused on pest control with multiple years of experience in relevant pest control field also considered
- In depth knowledge of entomology, pest management, insect toxicology and insecticide mode-of-action.
- Willingness to function as part of a hands-on scientific team.
- Willingness to travel for scientific conferences, trade shows, and meetings with collaborators.
- Offer extremely competitive benefits including: Health, Dental and Vision coverage.
- Onsite wellness center which includes: 24,000 sq. ft. fitness center, Walgreens pharmacy and Doctor's office.
- Nutrition reimbursement program (up to $200 per associate and per spouse)
- Beautiful campus and corporate offices designed like a log cabin offering free coffee, chef run cafe and the best crushed ice!
- First day of hire, 401K match (up to 7.5%) and discounted stock purchasing program (15% discount).
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion includes employee resource groups: Scotts Women's Network, Scotts Black Employee Network, Scotts Veterans Network and GroPride Network, Scotts Young Professionals.
- 12 SMG paid holiday days and generous vacation policy.
Not interested in this role? Stay up to date on future opportunities by joining our ScottsMiracle-Gro and Hawthorne Gardening talent networks.
Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.