Provides technical support for EPRI research in the area of distributed energy resource (DER) interconnection and integration on the power distribution system. Technical focus areas include power electronics and power system modeling and analysis to investigate impact of higher penetration of inverter based DERs including solar photovoltaic (PV), energy storage, and other advanced grid supportive technologies.
Leads research efforts in particular scientific disciplines or technologies and participates the development and application of products and services in those areas through contractors and departmental or cross-functional teams. Applies technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Organizes the external and interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/product on schedule and within budget. May conduct research directly in complex, high impact technical or scientific fields.
• Analyzing inverter/DER plant dynamic response to different type of grid fault conditions
• Model and simulate grid impact (temporary over voltage, voltage resonance, islanding, etc.) of DER plant dynamics
• Technical report writing and presenting, proposal writing, and managing projects
• Ability to apply technical knowledge to industry issues and gain input on needs from members/stakeholders and identify current and emerging technical issues.
• Develops research or services opportunities of value to EPRI members that fit EPRI's mission and capabilities. This will include solving customer problems, producing insights and information vital to the members, and delivering information in a manner that members and customers can and will apply.
• May provide oversight of a project team to assure technical and financial milestones are met.
• Provides assistance to the EPRI sales staff in Member Services and EPRI International.
• Broaden technical expertise and interface with national and international technical networks with manufacturers, consultants, and academia and research organizations.
• Communicates strategies and results, written and verbal, to program members, potential members and external stakeholders through guidelines, reports, meetings, webcasts, workshops and conferences.
• Manages small or medium (less complex) projects including budgets and resources
• Bachelor's Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience required.
• Strongly Desired - Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering with focus on power systems and/or power electronics
• Desired - Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with focus on power systems and/or power electronics
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• 5 -7 or more years of research and development project and promotional experience, including development of advanced concepts for internal research or equivalent experience.
• Shows technical expertise and assumes responsibility for highly specialized technical objectives using creative imaginative solutions.
• Experience in performing and/or managing research activities.
• Incumbents must be able to exercise judgment, diligence, and attention to detail and demonstrate an aptitude for carrying out responsible technical assignments.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Manages projects and may work in conjunction with a technical specialist.
• Developing technical depth in 1-2 areas
• Understand how work fits across EPRI programs
• Typically individual contributor, may begin handling supervisory activities for lower level positions.
• Solid understanding of power system fundamentals (voltage regulation, grounding, relay settings, protection practices, etc.), power quality, and challenges of DER integration
• Proven experience in solar PV/energy storage inverter detailed modeling for power system impact analysis
• Experience with power system modeling and simulation studies (dynamic and steady state) on distribution grids with inverter-based resources - proficiency in different modeling and simulation tools like EMTP-RV, PowerFactory, PSCAD, MATLAB, and OpenDSS is essential
• Ability to generate new research ideas and develop proposals
• Ability to manage smaller-scale projects independently
• Knowledge of control optimization for management of solar PV, energy storage, and controllable loads
• Familiarity with distribution-connected resources providing bulk power system and distribution grid services
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
The ideal candidate would have:
• Laboratory and/or field testing of DER technologies including smart inverters will be considered a plus
• Ability to analyze large data sets - programming skills in one or more languages used for data analytics, such as MATLAB, Python, or R
• Experience with digital simulators (Typhoon HIL, RTDS and/or OpalRT) will be considered a plus
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee's I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled
Together . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.