Founded in 1917 as a street corner newsstand in Florence, Alabama, Books-A-Million, Inc. has grown to become the premier book retailing chain in the Southeastern United States, and the second largest book retailer in the nation. Based in Birmingham, Alabama, the company currently operates more than 260 stores in 32 states. In addition to its primary retail component, the corporation includes a book wholesale and distribution subsidiary, American Wholesale Book Company, an e-commerce division operating as BOOKSAMILLION.COM , and an internet development and services company, NetCentral, in Nashville, Tennessee.
The General Manager is responsible for the day to day operation of Books-A-Million stores as a Manager On Duty in conjunction with the management team to maximize sales and customer service. The General Manager also oversees the execution of all aspects of store operations by providing effective leadership, achieving maximum sales and profits, controlling budgetary expenses, and managing the store team through training and development.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maximizes sales, profits, and customer service by leading the store team and operating the store in adherence with all Company policy and guidelines.
- Plans, organizes, and directs store activities with the assistance of other store management.
- Ensures highest level of customer service and handles customer complaints to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Ensures efficient product flow within the store.
- Recruits and hires talent for the store team.
- Coaches, trains, and develops the Management staff.
- Facilitates effective communication to all store Associates through Daily Briefings, weekly and monthly meetings.
- Creates the store schedule to provide adequate coverage for all aspects of the store.
- Enhances store's reputation by establishing and maintaining good community relations and partnerships.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 21 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, college degree in business related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to act in a mature and conscientious manner.
- Ability to supervise a large number of associates.
- Strong decision making, communication and merchandising skills.
- Successful completion of all required background screenings.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to use hands/arms to operate keyboard, telephone and for repetitive motion activities.
- Must be able to lift or team lift objects up to 50 lbs., with or without assistance.
- Must be able to communicate using speech, sight, and sound with or without assistive device.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop or crouch while performing daily activities of the job.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search and application process. Whether you choose to apply or just leave your information, we look forward to staying connected with you.
Posting ID: 566874267Posted: 2020-08-09