PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Primary Dairy Clerk is responsible for stocking and replenishing the Dairy cases and other miscellaneous areas. This includes the use of wheeled carts and/or pallet jacks to transport product from the backroom and cooler/freezer areas to the sales floor. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is responsible for rotation of product when necessary. Primary Dairy clerks also unload trailer deliveries. He/she must maintain the Dairy area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner. There may be some customer contact in this position; therefore the clerk must have good customer service skills.
• This position reports to: Grocery Manager, Assistant Grocery Manager
• Position(s)that report directly to this position: Full time clerks may supervise, train, and develop part time clerks when assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment alone or with other people.
• Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling- Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
• Reading and completing an assignment sheet upon which the amount of product stocked each shift is recorded by the clerk. Other duties performed must be recorded as well.
• Load and unload product weighing up to 60 lbs. from pallets stacked to a height of 6 feet.
• Pull pallets weighing several hundred pounds from trailers into backroom areas and/or onto sales floor.
• Lift and load 5-60 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull large carts to stocking area.
• Open boxes and other containers with the use of a box cutter when appropriate.
• Manually remove product from cartons and replenish Dairy shelves and/or refrigerated cases with product on a continuous basis. The continuous stocking of shelves requires significant repetitive motion as well as reaching above the shoulders for upper shelves and bending and/or stooping to reach lower shelves.
• Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
• Visually identify product and read display signs including shelf tags.
• Break down boxes (flatten) and transport to storage area.
• Read display information and other documents (bulletins, etc.) when necessary.
• Work in a moderate / cool / cold environment.
• Visually identify and remove poor quality/outdated product from shelves.
• Taking and placing verbal orders over the telephone and writing pertinent information.
• Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers.
• Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Place broken down cardboard into cardboard baler.
• Making bales of cardboard which involves the wrapping and twisting of heavy gauge wires to hold the bale together.
• Ordering/adjusting product with the use of hand held computerized devices.
• Writing amount of backroom stock and affix to shelf when required.
• Lift and load product weighing up to 70 lbs.
• Back up Receiver
• Sweep, clean up, and mop areas as assigned by supervisor.
• Clean display cases, shelving and fill supplies when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
• The Grocery Manager or Asst. Grocery Manager generally assigns the work.
• Primary Dairy clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing any work that was not previously assigned.
• The Grocery Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
• Time off requests should be made directly to the Grocery Manager within the appropriate time constraints as dictated by the individual manager’s preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Responsible to respond to customer requests and provide good customer service. This may include ordering of sale & holiday items.
• Dairy clerks should have a good knowledge of product location within the grocery department.
• Dairy clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
• Responsible for knowing and understanding all Grocery specific policies and procedures.
• Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
• Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Customers o Supervisors o Co-workers o Store Management o Vendors o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Good customer service skills.
• On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
• Prior stocking experience.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately.
• High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
• Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
• Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
• Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
• Dairy clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
• Dairy clerk requires significant lifting and carrying of product.
• Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
• Grocery back room conditions are generally moderate.
• Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
• Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
• Primary Dairy clerks usually scheduled according to peak stocking times.
• This is generally a full time position.
• This is considered a higher-level grocery position.
• Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Dairy clerks must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.