As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Person In Charge (PIC) provides friendly, courteous, and helpful service. During the absence of the Store Manager and the First & Second Assistant Managers, the PIC is in charge of the store, with analogous authority to make necessary decisions to operate the store at maximum profit, efficiency, and superior customer service. When in charge of the store (generally at night) the PIC will supervise the store employees. The PIC also acts as a Cashier-Checker (see job description). May be required to work in many of the departments within the store.
Safeway PIC employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and within company policy.
2. Responsible for appropriately handling emergencies, customer complaints, employee or customer accidents and supervising all store personnel.
3. Maintains high level of familiarity with company policies and procedures.
4. Supervises the sales floor to monitor service and replenishment of products.
5. Replaces stock in displays surrounding the checkout area.
6. Assists in maintaining a clean and safe work environment within the store.
7. Assists other cashiers with computer, register, and scanner problems.
8. Responsible for performing basic office functions to assist customers and personnel.
9. Operates electronically scanning cash register to total customers' final bill.
10. Receive payment for customer purchase and count back correct change.
11. Bag groceries in paper, canvas, or plastic bags. Lift bags into grocery cart. Offer customer assistance with carry out, and perform that task if a Courtesy Clerk is not available.
12. May be responsible for completing close of day function in the office.
13. May be responsible for counting out of stock product.
14. May count tills when other cashier-checkers leave.
15. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or related experience.
2. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
3. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
4. Knowledge of all positions within the store.
5. Ability to work independently.
6. Desired: Prior experience as a clerk or manager.
All store employees during the absence of the Store Manager or Assistant Manager.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
Job Title: Person In Charge (PIC)
%Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare Temperature Extremes: N/A
Chemicals: Seldom (mild detergents or glass cleaner)
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
six-wheeled cart, grocery cart, box cutter, pens and pencils, spray bottle, rags, mops, broom, telephone/intercom, cash register, credit card scanner, computer, pallet jack, bailer
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-10 lbs. Frequently lifts 11-20 lbs. Seldom lifts 21-35 lbs.
Occasionally carries 1-10 lbs. Seldom carries 11-50 lbs.
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. Occasionally pushes/pulls 11-20 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder reaching. Seldom overhead and at or above shoulder level reaching.
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Frequent walking while on job.
Seldom. May use step stool while stocking/facing product on high shelves.
Frequent neck rotation and bending of head. Occasional bending/stooping, twisting, crouching, and squatting. Seldom kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping and repetitive motion while checking, facing, and replacing stock. Frequent fine finger manipulation.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around store and push carts in aisles. Near vision used to operate scanner, make change, and troubleshoot equipment.
To converse with customers, provide service, and receive questions from employees and customers. Answer pages and telephone.
To respond to customers and employees and use intercom/telephone.
Albertsons Safeway is an Equal Opportunity Employer.