Optum is seeking a medical assistant to support our internal staffing team at our clinics in the surrounding San Fernando Valley including:
- Mission Hills
- Van Nuys
- North Hollywood
- West Hills
This position is a non-benefited float position that allows team members to pick up work assignments at multiple Optum clinics including:
- Primary Care Clinics
- Specialty Care Clinics
- Urgent Cares
***Ongoing assignments available with typical work hours of Monday- Friday 8AM-5PM. Paid training will be provided.
- Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician, Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse to ensure safe and appropriate care.
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times (i.e. does not leave patient on an exam table unattended) and participates in Optum's fall prevention program.
- Complies with Optum's sharps safety program at all times (i.e. only using devices with safety features and employing safe work practices).
- Anticipates the needs of the clinician and carries out orders.
- Checks Electronic Health Record (EHR) for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and any other pertinent patient information for the RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs ear lavage, EKG, spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision / hearing tests, urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood hemoglobin (hemocue) testing.
- Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (i.e. 24 hour urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens obtained by clinician, etc.), maintains lab specimen logs as appropriate and any other procedures and screening permitted by scope of practice.
- Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears, laceration repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assists with more complex department specific specialty procedures (i.e. vasectomies, cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields, pachymetry testing, etc.).
- Within scope of practice, performs patient-related procedures under the supervision of a clinician, RN Manager, RN Supervisor, Care Team Supervisor, or LVN.
- Maintains and cleans exam / treatment areas, specimen processing areas, and medical equipment.
- Transports dirty equipment and performs appropriate cleaning and disinfecting, autoclaving and cold sterilization and maintains autoclave, cidex, and A-test logs.
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms, treatment / procedure rooms, specimen processing areas, and nursing stations.
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and documents administration of medications and procedures in EHR.
- Maintains monthly logs for medications and sample medications, by checking for expired medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
- Maintains monthly logs for expired medical and lab supplies.
- Maintains yearly logs for expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance (PM) as needed.
- Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG's are seen by clinician.
- Maintains and follows up on Abnormal Pap Log at least monthly, if not weekly.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure / testing preparations.
- Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical Equipment (DME), etc.
- Escorts patients to any ancillary services as needed.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, ancillary testing facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
- Participates in scheduling specialty procedures (biopsies, minor surgeries, etc.).
- Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
- Maintains cancer / melanoma patients' follow up appointments per department specific.
- Tracks specialty procedures / patient volume on a daily basis when indicated.
- Verifies with referral portal for approved or denied appointments and follows up by scheduling patients.
- Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up process.
- Works bump list.
- Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV, disability, etc.).
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
- Takes messages for clinician and other department members as appropriate.
- Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test results, etc.).
- Handles prescription refills as scope of practice.
- Participates in handling patient concerns, forwards concerns to supervisor and responds to patient complaints when appropriate.
- Assists with Quality Metrics; Comprehensive Health Assessment Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures, and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external site audits (facility site review) from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Participates regularly in site teammate and department meetings.
- Cross-trains into Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions when indicated.
- May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs, senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum's patients' protected health information (PHI) in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Assists with beginning and end of day controlled substance count and document with licensed teammate upon completion of controlled substance count training.
- May administer controlled substances upon completion of controlled substance training.
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process to address the orders.
- Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient's email addresses, updating smoking status, and other initiatives.
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per guidelines.
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order test and update referrals.
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records EHR for clinician to authorize.
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in EHR.
- Provides direct patient care as needed.
- Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO) (both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates, and Skills validation including those that could be held after working hours including the weekend.
- Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been reviewed and actions.
- Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as assigned by supervisor /management.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent. Includes special certification required for specific jobs.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Phlebotomy certificate.
- Basic Life Support for Providers by American Heart Association (AHA) - (100% online certification is not acceptable).
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Previous Medical Assistant work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use / handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body mechanics.
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
- Computer literate (i.e. logging on to computer, usage of keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email applications).
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
Posting ID: 567381710Posted: 2020-10-26