Job Title: China Express Cook
As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the China Express Cook provides friendly, courteous and
helpful service. Responsible for preparation, quality and quantity of food prepared in the China Express
area of the delicatessen. Obtains supplies from storage, cooler, or freezer area. Cleans shelves, range
tops, work area, and dishes. Uses pots, pans, woks, and other cooking implements to prepare and cook
food. Follows recipes for items being prepared. Mixes and prepares sauces and other seasoning and
adds to dishes at the appropriate time. Places prepared items in China Express cases in delicatessen.
Removes boxes and other trash from area. Orders and inventories merchandise and supplies.
Safeway China Express Cook employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and
within company policy.
1. Follows recipes to prepare and cook food.
1. Cuts, chops, slices, and cleans meat and produce in preparation for cooking.
1. Assists with service at the counter as needed.
1. Maintains cleanliness of food preparation area.
1. Retrieves supplies from storage areas, coolers, and freezers.
1. May write order.
1. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or
1. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
1. Ability to read prices, forms, recipes, and tags.
1. Ability to work independently when necessary.
1. Ability to understand and follow directions.
1. Desired: Knowledge of authentic Chinese cooking and techniques.
China Express Cooks: None.
Head China Express Cook oversees the work of the China Express Cook(s).
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
%Inside: 100% Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: Frequent. May be hot in cooking area. Exposure to freezer and cooler.
Chemicals: Seldom (mild detergents or glass cleaner).
Job Title: China Express Cook
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
scale, measuring cups, spoons, pots, pans, woks, range tops, ovens, microwave, hand truck , box cutter,
pens and pencils, grocery cartS. six-wheel cart, spray bottle, rags, mops, brooms, knives, forks, spoons
and other utensils, slicer, grinder, bailer
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-20 lbs. Occasionally lifts 21-50 lbs.
Constantly carries 1-10 lbs. Frequently carries 11-20 lbs. Seldom carries 21-50 lbs.
Pushing / Pulling:
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-20 lbs. Frequently pushes/pulls 21-35 lbs. Seldom pushes/pulls 36-50 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder reaching. Occasional overhead and at or above shoulder level reaching.
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking while on the job.
Seldom. May use step stool to reach upper shelves.
Constant neck rotation while preparing food. Frequent bending of head, bending/stooping, and twisting.
Occasional crouching and squatting. Seldom kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping of utensils, pots and pans, and food items. Constant fine finger manipulation
when slicing small items. Constant repetitive motion when slicing.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around crowded food preparation area. Near
vision used to slice and prepare foods, operate dangerous machines, and to use sharp knives. Use of
color vision to determine freshness of ingredients and assess the progress of the cooking process.
To converse with other employees, assist customers, answer pages, receive instructions and information
from other employees.
To converse with customers, assist customers, answer questions, and conduct business. To give
instructions and information to other employees.
Safeway will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities who can meet
overall job requirements.