Job DescriptionJob Title:
Medical Technologist - Muncy - Per Diem/CasualJob ID:
Primarily N/E Every 3rd Wknd Rot HolidaysShift:
UPMC Susquehanna MuncyDepartment:
, Muncy PA Description
Provide authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory testing of a routine and advanced nature. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. Apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes. Responsibilities:
- Conduct, direct or assist with test development and methodology/equipment evaluation, selection and implementation.
- Recognize critical, abnormal and unacceptable test results and follow-up according to established protocols. Recognize factors that affect measurements and results and initiate the necessary corrective action according to established protocols. Identify problems with instrumentation, methodology, specimens, supplies, or results and take action as outlined in predetermined protocols.
- Operate and maintain equipment within the scope of training utilizing defined schedules and written instructions to perform quality control checks, preventive maintenance, and calibration. Perform minor repairs. Use reagents and supplies in a cost-effective manner; monitor and maintain an appropriate supply inventory.
- Train and orient new employees, students and residents, as applicable and as assigned.
- All duties inclusive of an MLT (Medical Laboratory technician), and:
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; respond to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, compliance and personnel policies. Follow established procedures for the collection (including phlebotomy, as required) and processing of specimens for analysis including the appropriateness and stability of the sample. Perform qualitative and quantitative analytical procedures according to established protocols with precision and accuracy in a timely and efficient manner.
- Assume responsibility for first-line supervision of the section/department on a temporary basis as delegated.
- Performs High Complexity Testing (as defined by PA DOH) without direct supervision.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university AND successful completion of a CAHEA accredited Medical Technology program,
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science AND ASCP categorical certification,
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND at least two years' experience in a role equivalent to that of a Medical Laboratory technician (MLT) in a clinical laboratory,
- OR equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA '88 and PA Bureau of Laboratories for technologist performing high complexity testing.
- Prefer 1-year experience in a hospital laboratory.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory information systems preferred.
- Current Phlebotomy and Hematology experience strongly preferred.
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesSalary Range:
- Medical Technologist MT(ASCP),
- Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS(ASCP), or equivalent certification preferred.
- New York License required for NY locations.
- Act 34
$23.41 to $36.18 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Posting ID: 548876713Posted: 2020-08-07