Food Ingredient Industry
Kelly Science & Clinical is seeking an experienced Quality Supervisor for a food ingredient company in the Memphis, TN area. This is a direct hire opportunity. Monday-Friday on a dayshift schedule. Experience managing others in a food industry setting is required.
Responsible for managing and overseeing laboratory technicians and all testing conducted to ensure the right procedures and methods are used and that all products meet finish product release criteria. Provide technical support to the production team and perform quality control verification for both in-process and finished products. Coordinate training roster for all food safety and quality related training for all employees. Understand the Safe Quality Food (SQF) system standards and ensure compliance to all requirements as well as FDA’s food safety modernization act (FSMA) requirements.
Key Result Areas:
• Supervise laboratory technicians and all analytical testing to ensure compliance to procedures and finish product specifications requirements.
• Ensure all laboratory equipment are setup and operated according to standard operating procedures:
o Equipment is calibrated at the right frequency, records are maintained, and verification activities are documented.
o Equipment preventive maintenance and repair is executed in a timely manner
o All chemical solutions including media are prepared according to standard formulas
• Analyze lab data at a set frequency and report any deviation or trend impacting key performance indicator such as First Pass Product Quality.
• Provide training to Lab Technicians on new lab methodology or updates to existing methods or standard operating procedures
• Develop and/or Implement good manufacturing and good laboratory practices that meets company standards
• Coordinate and execute annual inter-laboratory testing. Evaluate and report results
• Promptly notify the Quality Manager about potential withdrawal/recall situations
• Develop and implement continuous improvement projects to improve lab efficiency
• Maintain yeast culture inventory
Quality Control • Review in-process and finished product HACCP records for example sifter screens, x-rays etc.
• Review and sign preventive control records per FSMA requirements
• Review production and quality report sheets and make corrections
• Perform sanitation validation of the production areas
• Perform GMP inspections inside and outside the facility
• Maintain adequate inventory of laboratory supplies within budget.
Quality Assurance • Coordinate testing of all finish product to verify conformity with specifications
• Identify and investigate non-conformance related to any finish product release parameter
• Review in-process and finish product quality to ensure they are within acceptable limits
• Enter COA data into database for all manufactured products.
• Maintain computer files in QA database, SharePoint system with QA data on all products produced at the site.
• Participate in plant investigations related to a customer concern and/or potential priority situation.
• Serve as back-up for the recall/withdrawal coordinator
• Review, update and develop plant SOP’s
Key Result Areas:
• Performance Standards
• Participate in the development of a training plan for all food safety and quality related training
• Provide support to supervisors or managers on the completion of the training plan
• Follow up on the training needs and demand
• Maintain training records
• Prepare training rooms and assist trainers.
• Edit documents as required. Monitoring training actions: attendance sheets, certificates of participation, evaluation sheet, etc.
• Act as a backup for the Quality Manager and SQF practitioner:
o Update and review programs to ensure compliance with SQF requirements
o Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity of the SQF system
o Communicate to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF system
o Participate in the reanalysis of the site’s Food Safety and Food Defense Plans to ensure compliance with FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act Preventive Controls and Intentional Adulteration rules.
o Support the management and implementation of the Food Safety and Food Defense Plans requirements
• Act as a backup for Lab Technician second or third shift if necessary
• Participate in third party, internal audit and customer audits
Human Resources • Comply with HR policies and procedures & all relevant employment laws
• Review and provide feedback on the technicians work performance.
• Assess employees’ development requirements and ensure the necessary training
and on the job training is completed
• Assign annual performance and development objectives that are aligned with the
needs of the facility and the business
• Review and approve payroll information for hourly Technicians
• Schedule lab personnel to meet workload demands
• Track attendance and absences for updating employees’ records
Others • Availability to work on rotating shifts when necessary
• Occasional overtime may be required
• Occasional change in work schedule with limited notice
• All other duties as assigned
• Comply with Good Manufacturing Practices.
A COMBINATION OF THE LISTED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE IS PREFERRED Required
• Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biological Science or related Science Major
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a food or pharmaceutical manufacturing facility including leadership experience
• Food Safety/HACCP/GFSI training. (Certification is required)
• Excellent PC skills in Word, Access, Excel and PowerPoint
• SQF Practitioner
• PCQI certified
• Excellent organizational, statistical, analytical, prioritization and problem-solving skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• 2 years Supervisory experience in a laboratory setting
• Experience with Quality Management Systems such as SQF
• Experience with implementing food hygiene procedures and food safety requirements. Process and/or product development experience
Kelly® Science & Clinical is your connection to premier scientific and clinical companies looking to hire talented people just like you. Every day, we match science professionals with dream jobs that fit their skills and interests-it's the way we think job searching should be. Nearly 100 percent of our science recruiters have a professional background/education in science, so we know a thing or two about the science market and how to get you noticed.
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.]]