Lightweight and highly mobile, the AVENGER is the Army National Guard’s premier shoot-on-the-move air defense weapon. An AVENGER Crewmember operates and maintains this surface-to-air missile system, designed to identify, track, and engage enemy targets like cruise missiles, and low-flying aircraft.
The crewmember is responsible for operating and maintaining the AVENGER system, which consists of eight STINGER missiles enclosed inside two missile pods. It is also combined with a remotely fired .50 cal machine gun that is mounted to a Humvee.
You will learn how to prepare, operate, and fire weapons systems, and establish and maintain radio communications. Other duties include driving, vehicle maintenance, and securing battle positions.
• Movement and placement of the AVENGER weapons system in various locations and environments
• Operate AVENGER electronic, hydraulic, radar, and mechanical components
• Perform target engagement evaluations; operate “friend-or foe” identification equipment, and engage targets
• Transport, prepare, reload, and resupply missiles and ammunition
Some of the Skills You’ll Learn
• Navigate terrain using maps, compass, and GPS devices
• Utilize digital communications equipment to identify and receive target information and engagement orders
• Ammunition handling procedures
• Air defense artillery tactics, techniques, procedures, and air battle strategy
• Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
• Ability to multitask and remain calm in stressful situations
Your training will instill discipline, as well as leadership and teamwork skills. These are the qualities all employers look for because people who possess them think clearly, remain calm under pressure, and push an organization forward. By joining the Army National Guard, you will be preparing yourself for a rewarding civilian career.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for AVENGER Crewmembers consists of 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you'll learn basic Soldiering skills, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Training consists of both classroom and field work.