|Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
As a member of the America's Finance Marriott Select Brands Managed by Marriott (MSB MxM) team, this position will assume a key role in achieving financial objectives and contractual compliance through specialized financial and operational knowledge. This resource will provide support primarily in areas related to the operating budgeting, forecasting and capital budgeting processes, along with overseeing contractual compliance for management agreements and other related agreements to include, but is not limited to, management of cash waterfall, accounting processes in support of portfolios and calculation/monitoring of contract thresholds, along with transaction support for the MSB MxM portfolio. Duties may expand to other work as needed.
SCOPE/BUSINESS CONTEXT/EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
Capital Expenditure Process
· Assist with the overall facilitation of Marriott's capital expenditure budget and forecasting processes.
· Conduct budget review to ensure that budgets appropriately reflect Marriott's capital strategy and provide appropriately recommendations to market financial and operations leaders.
· Perform budget analysis and identify funding shortfalls and to support the resolution of other capital expenditure business issues.
· Collaborate with Accenture's Capital Accounting and Administration team to ensure that information needs are met and that capital processes are working effectively.
· Facilitates capital expenditure forecasts in support of Marriott's annual budgeting process.
· Accountable for providing capital expenditure analysis in support of acquisitions, refinancing's and other workouts.
· Manage status of capital projects and drive accountability to align with the overall business direction.
· Partner with the HQ Governance team to update and communicate capital expenditure policies and procedures to the market organization, ensuring consistency with GAAP, MIPs, and Management Agreements. Monitor compliance with policies and procedures; ensure that strong internal controls are in place.
· Support stakeholders (i.e. Finance Business Partner, Operations, Owner Services, A&C, Brand Management and discipline leads) in developing and communication of budgeting strategy and guidelines
· Coordinate budget schedules and reports for presentation to Senior Management and Owners
· Responsible for developing and maintaining positive market contacts to ensure a climate of teamwork across stakeholders.
· Provide support to Hotel GM's and Regional teams during the annual MSB MxM capital budgeting process.
· Partner with Information Resources, external consultants, customers, and other Americas Finance team members to develop and continuously improve budgeting tools and systems.
· Manage project-specific inquiries of senior management and other stakeholders.
Operating Budgeting and Forecasting Process
· Partner with the Director, Business Support and Contract Compliance -MSB MxM to deliver annual operating budget guidelines.
· Partner with internal stakeholders and AHS to support Marriott's annual budgeting process and calendar.
· Manage planning/preparation process of budget schedules and reports for report-out to Senior Management and Owners
· Support the development, continuous improvement and testing of budgeting tools and systems through collaboration and coordination with the Reporting and Analysis MSB MxM team
· Collaborate with internal corporate and regional departments, Area Directors and new opening-hotels General Managers to assist in the preparation and posting of stub year operating budgets as necessary.
· Conduct and provide various data analysis to support the forecasting process, including specific Owner requests (i.e.mid-month forecast)
· Provide support to GM's through Americas MSB MxM Finance mailbox
· Review and interpret management (and related) agreements to ensure compliance with contractual requirements.
· Serve as a point of contact for high priority MSB hotel owners on contractual and finance related questions.
· Engage Marriott International organizations to resolve owner issues and respond to owner requests.
· Responsible for the calculation of cash waterfall and related available cash flow items to ensure accurate recording of Incentive Management Fee (IMF) and reporting to hotel owners each period, per the management agreements.
· Partner with various departments (Owner and Franchise Services (OFS), Global Asset Management, Legal, etc.) in the development and execution of contract workouts and amendments and ensure appropriate treatment of deal changes.
· Serve as point of contact and provide contract expertise to various internal departments (GAM, MBS/AHS, CAPEX, Financial Reporting, Legal, etc.), as well as regional finance teams.
· Coordinate and participate in the MSB hotel cash waterfall budgeting and Long-Range Planning processes, along with other corporate and organizational processes identified.
· Manage execution of standard and proactive owner communication to drive owner satisfaction.
· Help to identify and implement process improvements for contract compliance processes.
· Coordinate with Revenue Accounting team members to ensure the accurate interpretation of MSB agreement terms related to transactions. Provide guidance on tactical issues with proposed contract language during negotiations and contract development.
· Support transaction work resulting from a sale of a hotel which includes coordinating with transitions team, communicating to necessary stakeholders, and providing requested due diligence items.
· Perform special projects, as needed.
· Minimum 5 years of relevant finance/accounting experience, managerial experience a plus
· Exposure to management contracts and or legal agreements
· Experience in the Lodging/Hospitality industry preferred.
Education or Certification
· Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting or related discipline preferred.
· CPA or advanced degree a plus
Knowledge and Skills
· Experience in interpreting complex management, lease and guaranty contract provisions
· Strong financial acumen with proven analytical skills
· Understanding of Marriott accounting and finance processes and systems
· Understanding of accounting and the correlation of operating Financial Statements; ability to analyze and interpret results.
· Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and controls
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
· Experience with PeopleSoft preferred
· Strong communications (verbal and written), organization and presentation skills.
· Strong problem-solving skills; encourages innovative solutions when appropriate.
· Strong organizational and managerial skills to be able to effectively manage multiple priorities, follow through on commitments, and coordinate interdepartmental projects.
· Effectively work in a team environment
· Ability to embrace continuous process improvement.
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy
· High degree of initiative; highly motivated self-starter
· Strong interpersonal skills with a "win-win" negotiating style.