Network Specialist I - OSP Engineering & Construction
Job Locations US-WI-Madison | US-WI-Fennimore | US-WI-Lancaster | US-WI-Monroe | US-WI-Johnson Creek | US-WI-Elkhorn | US-WI-Waterford | US-WI-Milwaukee
ID 2020-15841Company TDS Telecom
The Network Specialist I - OSP Construction is responsible for the contributing to the Outside Plant Engineering team. Depending upon workload this person may be required to supervise Consulting resources in the construction phase of the projects. The person filling this position is expected to work closely with representatives from Network Services as well as Network Operations, Associate Managers, Consultants, Architect and Construction Contractors for TDS to ensure that the needs of the company are being met. You will be responsible for the implementation of fiber, copper, and HFC networks while conforming to existing TDS outside Plant (OSP) guidelines and TDS OSP standards established for the CATV operations. You will be expected to stay current with NESC codes and ensure our construction at all times is in NESC compliance.
TheNetwork Specialist - OSP Construction is expected to assist in the creation of OSP Engineering Package. You will have to understand numerous projects, possibly located in multiple locations and states. You will continually monitor design costs and monitor job progress to ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget. The individual filling this position is responsible for continually working with various governmental agencies to protect the TDS OSP network from being jeopardized by permitting requirements or proposed road improvements. You may be required to negotiate with municipalities, other utility companies from a network and a legal perspective for the purchase, lease and/or sale of inner ducts, fiber and/or complete networks.
This position will have an emphasis on Commercial and MDU/MTU properties, working closely with our sales organization as well as Field Services. It will also have an emphasis on ROW, Easement and Pole Attachments and will interact with members of Net Ops Compliance as well as working with communities on their permit ordinances.
- Responsible for the design of OSP projects and/or supervision of consultants who are responsible for coordinating outside plant field construction and splicing operations in multiple locations and states. Provide technical support for special request projects such as, major road moves or potential on-net builds. He/she must work with Finance to ensure proper accounting of facilities placed and interact with the legal department to ensure that the company is not at risk in any asset transfers. If needed, assist in the engineering phase of projects. This involves creating labor, material, and overheads project cost estimates.
- Provide audits of OSP projects and coach consultants and/or contractors to ensure accuracy and consistency. The audits will ensure compliance with National Electrical Code standards and current TDS OSP standards.
- Review all required reports from field personnel and contractor invoicing for accuracy. Manage projects by reviewing quality of work, clean up resolution, proper maintenance of project documentation and continual review of project progress.
- Verify that all documentation required to complete projects successfully, including Bid Jobs, Build orders, Job Start Agreements, VMOPs and close out documentation is complete.
- Create and perform analysis on network designs for the OSP teams utilizing GIS tools and extensions. Provide the data back for the OSP teams to use in strategic decisions, ADs and HLDROMs.
- Partner with Reginal OSP Engineering (OSPE) members on engineering of network builds with in GIS.
- Assist in training OSPE members on the use, functions and tools with in GIS
- Review data for impacts to builds (eg: Roadmoves)
- Create processes and tools for mobile use of GIS for data collection and consumption.
- Provide technical leadership in evaluating current GIS products being offered on the market and provides recommendations for upgrades and changes in methods of practice for TDS. Includes application upgrades and data sources
- Associates degree (or higher) -OR- 2+ years' professional work experience
- 3+ years' experience in Voice/Data/Video networking
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and insurance
- GIS experience
- ESRI ArcGIS experience
- Spatial analysis experience
- Experience in Telephony or related fields
- Excellent leadership, customer relations and communications skills
- Thorough Understanding of Telecommunications industry and principals.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- PC database, spreadsheet and word processing skills.
- Advanced working knowledge of NESC construction practices and engineering standards.
- Ability to work in a cooperative and courteous manner with diverse work groups.
- Ability to read and assess fiber and/or HFC designs and prints
Equal Opportunity Employer
At TDS, we believe that diversity makes us stronger. We embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. We are stronger together!
Apply for this job onlineApply
Refer this job to a friendRefer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Software Powered by iCIMS
Posting ID: 569012163Posted: 2020-09-22