Agency: Department of Corrections
Working Title: FDC-WELLNESS EDUCATION SPECIALIST I F/C-70046702-MARION CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
Salary: $30,988.62 Annually
Posting Closing Date: 08/19/2020***OPEN COMPETITIVE ADVERTISEMENT***Wellness Education Specialist I - F/CThis advertisement is for a Career Service position located at Marion Correctional Institution in the Education Department.Salary Rate: $30,988.62SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for planning and administering the Wellness Education program in a correctional institution.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSA's):
- Performs all duties relating to planning, administering, implementing and monitoring a visible and effective wellness education program for assigned inmates to include facilitating and teaching related classroom activities.
- Responsible for supervision of inmates in assigned activities. Provides or delegates direct supervision of all inmates involved in organized recreational activities and coordinates security supervision of those activities.
- Writing corrective consultations and disciplinary reports when necessary and in accordance with department procedure.
- Coordinates wellness education, including tobacco cessation programming, and recreation activities with the medical and security staff in order to develop programs that will aid the social recovery of the inmates.
- Conducts and monitors inmate interests and participation in wellness education and recreation activities through predetermined, objective assessments, transferring such assessments to a set of goals, objects and performance tasks in accordance with institutional priorities and available resources.
- Responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of the wellness education department equipment inventory. Conducts quarterly as well as monthly inventory on all the supplies.
- Determines needs, evaluates and plans competitive wellness activities for implementation during pre-scheduled and structured free time periods for the inmate population.
- Coordinates and oversees special events, including the scheduling of outside groups for recreational and cultural activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Please note, when submitting a college/university degree, if selected for this position official transcripts will be required.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to utilize problem solving techniques
- Ability to provide instruction to others in recreational sports activities
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in recreation or physical education.
- Two years of professional experience in conducting recreational activities.
Support of knowledge, skills, and abilities should be demonstrated on the application in the education, in the work experience, in the work sample, in the interview, and/or during reference checks.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above indicated qualification and have the desired education, knowledge and experience, please submit a State of Florida Application and resume through the People First system. If you experience problems applying on-line, please call the People First Service Center at 1-877-562-7287.Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the closing date.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.VETERANS' PREFERENCE.
Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply.Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation requirements are available by clickinghere. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement. Nearest Major Market: