LONG TERM ASSIGNMENT
Hours will be 8:00-4:30 Monday-Friday
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Office Assistants perform office support and clerical work to meet the requirements of
agency programs. Such work may consist of, but is not limited to: data entry; math or
calculations; mail, supply, and inventory-related tasks; keyboarding and other document
preparation tasks; answering telephones; completing forms; assisting customers; creating or
assisting in the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and tables; and other related activities.
This work is accomplished in accordance with applicable procedures, rules, regulations, and
Office Assistants 1 perform entry-level clerical and office support work, including
processing transactions and maintaining records in a variety of organizational settings. Any
given assignment may encompass a broad or narrow range of activities. Office Assistant 1 is
a non-supervisory class found at nearly all State agencies.
General Office Support
• Answer questions from and provide information to various parties regarding agency
activities, transactions, and procedures. Refer inquiries as necessary.
• Operate various communication systems such as telephones and computers; and keep
records of such communications.
• Operate, and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on, office machines and
equipment. Clear paper jams in copiers, scanners and printers; replace toner cartridges;
and clean keyboards and screens.
• Schedule appointments and meetings using various office tools.
• Perform routine processing activities, including checking forms for completeness and
• Maintain basic financial, accounting, and/or statistical records.
• Perform calculations and computations, primarily on computers and calculators, using
known and standard formulas and methods.
• As needed and as directed, contact various internal and external parties to obtain
• Prepare, process, review, and record numerical transactions and records. This activity
may include: processing bills and vouchers; reviewing or auditing calculations or
statistics; or disbursing or receiving items of value such as cash or vouchers, including,
for example, such tasks as calculating and collecting fees.
Keyboarding and Document Preparation
• Type, proofread, review, and correct correspondence, documents, records, and other
• Transcribe hand-written materials.
• Make appropriate corrections for format, accuracy, and validity.
• Assist in gathering or compiling data for reports, graphs, charts, tables, or other
• Create graphs, charts, or other visual aids to display data.
• May also prepare routine reports or assist others in the preparation of reports, following
Record-Keeping and Filing
• Maintain, update, and correct records and files.
• Receive, screen, review, and verify documents, forms, applications, claims, and other
documents for completeness, content, and accuracy.
• Establish new files by coding and numbering forms, creating folders, and compiling
Stores and Mail
• Receive, pick up, deliver, open, appropriately record, time stamp, sort, and distribute
mail, e-mail, or other forms of correspondence or communication, or goods, materials,
• Maintain files, correspondence, documents, records, materials, and stores pursuant to
• Maintain various listings for mail service purposes.
• Process outgoing mail by inserting letters into envelops, sealing envelopes, and
applying correct postage.
• May operate a motor vehicle to pick up and deliver mail.
Receive, unload, unpack, sort, store, count, and distribute goods received, following
Advise supervisor upon receipt of damaged goods or incomplete or incorrect shipments.
Issue and may deliver goods from stock according to procedure.
May package goods for shipment.
Take periodic physical inventory and maintain perpetual inventory records.
• Keep shelves and stock clean, neat, and in proper place.
Data Entry and Verification
• Enter data and information into and retrieve data and information from computerized
• Verify data previously transcribed or entered to detect errors.
• Perform various clerical or office assistance tasks such as scanning documents, and
verifying accuracy of data from scanned documents