Western Bagel is a bagel manufacturer that produces products for customers locally and worldwide. Through a closely-knit, family- owned organization, our mission is to pursue controlled growth and profitability while providing high quality, great tasting products that exceed customer expectations while maintaining the highest level of integrity in our business practices. How we accomplish our mission is just as important as the mission itself. Our employees, our products, and our profits are the fundamental values that ensure our success.
• People - Our employees are the backbone of Western Bagel. They are our strength and their hard work, dedication, and teamwork are essential to our success.
• Products - Our products are the result of everyone's hard work and dedication. All our products are of the highest quality and the best tasting, since after all, our products are a reflection of us.
• Profits - Our profits are the ultimate measure of customer satisfaction. As long as we meet the needs of our customers, we can survive and grow.
About the Position
The Quality Assurance Technician is responsible for assisting with implementing and supporting Company standards to ensure quality specifications for packaging, raw ingredients, and finished products are met and that the food safety of manufactured products is upheld.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform daily QA walk-throughs; verify GMPs are followed in the facility and set example by practicing correct GMP procedures at all times.
• Monitor bakery operations to ensure sanitary operational procedures are followed according to GMPs.
• Inspect incoming raw materials.
• Initiate and complete the hold process for non-conforming product, raw materials, and other materials as required; follow up and complete disposition when determined.
• Verify batch formulas and product labels ensuring activities are complete and meet specifications.
• Identify and report food safety issues and assist in conducting investigations into food safety issues, foreign material findings, and customer complaints.
• Review production records for completion and compliance with good documentation practices.
• Assist with regulatory and independent inspections and audits.
• Serve as a resource to production employees for product quality, food safety, and regulatory issues.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• 1+ year of experience working in a food manufacturing environment, bakery preferred.
• Strong familiarity with and understanding of GMP's, HACCP, California Retail Food Code, FDA, AIB International, and other applicable governmental and industry regulators.
• Ability to interact with others in a professional, tactful, and sensitive manner.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed.
• Detail oriented and organized with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
• Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Management, Manufacturing or equivalent work experience.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the Quality Assurance Technician is regularly required to sit; use hands to grasp, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The Quality Assurance Technician frequently is required to walk, stand, stoop, kneel and crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Quality Assurance Technician to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work is regularly performed in a combination of office and bakery/shop environments. The Quality Assurance Technician is regularly exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes, noise, water, heat and cold temperatures below 0 degrees.
Western Bagel is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), disability (physical or mental), age (40 and older), genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, political activities or affiliations, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault, or stalking, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.